Tube Drive question

335clone

Living the dream
So I hear a lot that my pedals will never sound as good into my SS amp as they would driving the pre-amp stage of a tube amp. This of course makes perfect sense. My new Jekyl/Hyde OD/dist sounds pretty darn good into the clean side of my little Fender SS, but then I ran across this kit

k-980_wtube.png

The Persuader Deluxe utilizes a Darlington preamp to push cascaded triode vacuum tubes into distortion.

Four dual triode vacuum tubes are included with each kit (JJ 5751, 12AX7B China, JJ 12AU7 and a NOS USA-made 12AT7). Swap to create a wide range of tones from just a hint of break up from the JJ 5751 to over the top crunchy distortion using the NOS US made 12AT7.

A boost switch provides an additional layer of flexibility with added gain and a little extra bottom end. An LED indicator lights up when the Persuader Deluxe is engaged and not in true bypass mode.

So I'm thinking having this at the end of my dirt chain would be the perfect solution. The pedals drive whatever pre-amp tube I have in there. For $90 it comes with 4 tubes to play around with.

Opinions?

Do you like the sound you're getting now? If so, don't buy anything. If not, figure out what you don't like about it, and get something that addresses that specific need.

10 years ago I had a little Orange Crush amp that sounded like dry farts with distortion. And that was back when I was still playing tube screamers. I put a compressor after my pedals, but before the amp, and that solved the problem. The tube will add compression, which is what you want, but you may not want the distortion the circuit adds.

Also, find out if this will run the tube at appropriate voltages. If not, then it's just there for looks.

No. Not the solution. It is not a guitar preamp, it is probably not even a decent dirt pedal. The tube is not used as it would be in a guitar amp, it's barely more than a clipping diode in this design.

I said it in a different thread, you can use an amp-in-a-box solution (Tech21 Sansamp Character series or similar), tube or SS, and get a similar smoothing effect that you would get from a tube amp.

If you want to use a dirt pedal like this then look at the Blackstar HT pedals. They do use a tube at the proper voltage, but they use wall-wart power supplies. Orange makes a nice—but expensive—overdrive that’s really a complex amp sim pedal. It doesn’t have a tube, but it sounds great.

Back