Tried a Timmy pedal at GC today.

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
It was OK but not earth shaking. They had a used one that was on police hold until April 11th for $149 (which is in the middle of what I saw them for on Reverb.com). The pedal demo station leaves a little to be desired so after shooting out a Wampler Paisley Drive, the Timmy and a square button TS808 I got the surly girl behind the counter to let me try the Timmy through a bigger amp. I actually liked it more through the shitty demo amp. Between not being completely in love with it and not wanting to give a sales commission to the grouchy girl behind the counter (Sabrina, if you're shopping there soon) I decided to pass.

IMG_6311.JPG

My theory is, police hold is a scam just to get you back in the store a second time when you pick up your item that you placed on layaway. I've never heard of stollen gear being recovered from GC as a result of PH (And I ask often). Why doesn't SA do it? Or any number of "Mom and Pops".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My theory is, police hold is a scam just to get you back in the store a second time when you pick up your item that you placed on layaway. I've never heard of stollen gear being recovered from GC as a result of PH (And I ask often). Why doesn't SA do it? Or any number of "Mom and Pops".

We had something actually recovered by the police when I worked at GC. I don't remember the details since it was 15 years ago, but I remember it happening.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

I remember watching Sabrina the teenage witch and, wife thinking I was a perv for never missing an episode. It helped a little but, not much when she found out her actual age.

It's the law here. I don't know how effective it is but it makes sense if you are fencing (er....selling) used gear on a larger scale.

My "Timmy" cost me far less than $149, I never use it though. I prefer the traditional Tube Screamer mid-bump of my Analog Man TS9/808 Mod. I can understand how people love various preamps and boosts because they thicken up the sound, I can't see an transparent overdrive really being the same sort of difference maker (Klon included).

482332000000000-00-500x500.jpg

My "Timmy" cost me far less than $149, I never use it though. I prefer the traditional Tube Screamer mid-bump of my Analog Man TS9/808 Mod. I can understand how people love various preamps and boosts because they thicken up the sound, I can't see transparent overdrive really being the same sort of difference maker (Klon included).

482332000000000-00-500x500.jpg

I agree with the traditional TS. I like my Klon Klone as it is different and can achieve a sound not common with the TS. You and I both know that once you put electronics in the series and boost the signal, transparency becomes bunk as the signal has already been manipulated slightly.

Last edited:
Back