Thorn DeLuxe 90 Proto #8

GreatDane

"up yours, baby."
i finally (finally!) got around to taking pictures of this one after receiving it into my home weeks ago. i had never played a Thorn before so i had no idea what to expect. My, my, my. this is a damn-fine guitar. big chunky neck, beautiful fretwork, gorgeous finish, rad sounding pickups, nicely contoured body (just look at that neck heel... !) Korina body and neck, Braz rosewood fretboard. hardware, wiring, construction is all just amazing. this guy does great work. it's like a Goldtop LP deluxe married up with a tele and then with better contours throughout. the brown/copper snake skin hard case is a classy touch. what do you think? can you dig it?

IMG_3157.jpg

IMG_3158.jpg

IMG_3159.jpg

IMG_3160.jpg

IMG_3165.jpg

IMG_3168.jpg

IMG_3171.jpg

IMG_3173.jpg

IMG_3176.jpg

IMG_3177.jpg

IMG_3180.jpg

Interesting pole pieces on the "P-90's." Beautiful looker, and with the string-through and neck-through, it should sustain all day.

Likewise I've never played a Thorn but have looked at his work online and have wondered what they would be like to play. Your new guitar is gorgeous!What pick ups are those?

Looks a bit odd, but I'm sure I could get used to it! :thu:

What kind of bridge is that? It looks really solid and nice --

I usually don't care for that type of Tele-Paul hybrid but visually that one really works. I'm glad to hear it plays and sounds good too.

He did an inlay on my Taylor for me a ways back and I've followed his work ever since. He's become my favorite builder and I'd love to own one of his guitars. That one is stunning.

Nicely done combination. And take a look at the pickup switch - I love a manufacturer who isn't afraid to spec out more than bottom of the barrel hardware - that's a real switch right there.

Interesting pole pieces on the "P-90's." Beautiful looker, and with the string-through and neck-through, it should sustain all day.

It's staple top P90's (same as the early p90's) and it's actually a set neck.

Ron builds just amazingly perfect guitars. Love the Yeti!

thank you! even though it looks like a neck-through, it's a very well executed set neck design. the pickups are Thorn GT-90s with the big metal "staples" instead of the round magnets. they sound like a bigger, better P90 and they clean up really well. i like them a lot. no sloppiness with this guitar - everything is perfect and everything functionally seems to make sense.

while it's a very, very different guitar from my tyler, it reminds me a lot of that guitar - it is the best possible thing it can be so it doesn't present any barriers or hurdles for the player as he/she applies his/her technique to it, but also inspires the player to be better.

He did an inlay on my Taylor for me a ways back and I've followed his work ever since. He's become my favorite builder and I'd love to own one of his guitars. That one is stunning.

thank you, BB! i remember your comments in another thread about him doing your inlay work - fast, flawless and exactly what you were hoping for.

i'd like to try other examples of this builder's work.

Nicely done combination. And take a look at the pickup switch - I love a manufacturer who isn't afraid to spec out more than bottom of the barrel hardware - that's a real switch right there.

thank you! it's a nice switch. feels solid and should last.

Back