THE TRAVELER HAS COME!!!

:thu:

I had one of these from the 70's in the violin finish. I loved it, but it was a tad neck-heavy. I've got a system these days (see your strap thread), so it would likely no longer be an issue.

HNID!

My favorite era for Ibanez. They made some rad guitars during this phase. I has a Studio and a Performer from the late 70's. This Artist looks classy. I dig it a lot.

oh, and I couldn't let the thread go without a quick

traveler.jpg

Got it back from 30th Street Guitars today in time for rehearsal. The tuners will need to be replaced, but they'll be ok for my gig on Friday. I'll get some Grover Rotomatics as they're a direct replacement.

Matt @ 30th did a nice job on the frets and bridge. There's still some fret buzz that doesn't come through the amp. I've always been of the mind that there's a level of "acceptable buzz" for each guitar. This one is a little more than I would like, but it isn't affecting anything. The guitar sounds massive. I think my PRS sounds better clean and cuts better with distortion. The Ibanez Super 70s have much more output than the PRS does with its Dimarzio Virtual PAFs. It'll take a while to get used to changing between them but for under $500 I couldn't have asked for a better backup guitar.

Last edited:
I played through my Turbo RAT today in Open C and Dropped C tunings. There was a lot of Sabbath riffing going on. The Hipshot tuners are still breaking in, but the tuning stability is much better than it was. The 4 knob setup helps differentiate it sonically from the PRS. I like that they run over the same ground, but also diverge, and the separate volume and tone knobs help that.

I like how those models don't have the standard "Wizard" neck.

If Ibanez gave you more options for neck shapes I'd be all over them. Their quality is hard to beat. If I could get an AANJ neck with a fatter (maybe asymmetric?) back and an R2 nut I'd slap it on a Jem body and rock out.

I like how those models don't have the standard "Wizard" neck.

If Ibanez gave you more options for neck shapes I'd be all over them. Their quality is hard to beat. If I could get an AANJ neck with a fatter (maybe asymmetric?) back and an R2 nut I'd slap it on a Jem body and rock out.

AFIAK, the Wizard was a Vai innovation with the Jem series. The Artist neck is basically a 60's Gibson profile. Makes sense that Ibanez reserves it for their Artist and Artcore lines.

Late to the game...that's rad. In a semi-hollow I'd be driving up to rob you. :)

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Back