The "Secret" of Angus Young's Classic AC/DC Guitar Sound?

Angus is my absolute favorite guitar player. His tone is awesome and so is his playing. I like his approach of simpler is sometimes better.

AC/DC comes through town to record quite often and were here over the last year or so. I think they've done most of their studio recordings as Vancouver [now defunct Mushroom Studios and Bryan Adams spot in Gastown] has long been faves for the hard rockers.

I'd think if someone really wanted to know what went into the recording chain, all they'd have to do is come into town, get a few old roadies drunk and the beans would be spilled.

I'm wondering....if he used the wireless rig the audio section alone in a pedal might not be the thing to get the sound. I would think there would be a certain amount of compression at work as a result of the radio band width. Not to mention that there most certainly would have been some dynamic and EQ tweaking going on in the studio for the recording. I'd want to hear an SG that's close to one of Angus's models and whatever flavor Marshall he uses with that box inline. The little audio clip in that vid doesn't sound much like anything other than a standard OD pedal.

the secret to his tone?
upload_2014-9-21_7-10-39.png

Back