The Prodigal Alligator Chef Returns

Help!I'maRock!

Mediocringly Derivative
10603559_743485629049836_2907119643044413891_n.jpg

Played with it today in lessons. Into a solid-state amp, there's a much greater difference than in front of a tube amp. The asymmetrical side is heavier with more bottom end. Which is what we heard in that ARC video. But into a tube amp, they're nearly identical. Maybe the asymmetrical side has a tad more hair, but that's really it. It'll be interesting to hear how it does at volume.

The Asymmetric has completely transformed this pedal at volume. I had a meeting in our Midtown office this afternoon and was able to drop off my Tele for a once-over to Matt at 30th Street Guitars, which he completed right before band practice with my cover band. I was able to play both the Tele and my Rev bass through the pedal and it's just plain awesome.

There's still a bass cut, so it can't be the only pedal on bass. But it no longer flubs out and has an incredible high gain sound.

On the tele, it's just perfect. I love the Tele with the Llama. But because this is a traditional overdrive/distortion pedal that's really based on the MXR Distortion +/DOD 250 (there's a couple of minor changes in the circuits, but they're all very close); it's voiced very differently. You do get that bass cut. It does goose the amp. It can be used as a dirty boost or a full out fuzz. The Llama has a more full range sound and sounds great with humbuckers. But the RAT, especially with the mods, just has something with single coils the Llama doesn't. I'll try to pin it down over the next couple of weeks. But tonight, I'm very happy.

I was spending a little time with my Rat and Red Llama (both ggg clone) and I like the Rat more. I only have single coils so maybe I am hearing the same thing you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back