the Peanuts cartoon lied to us

Charles Shulz lied to America? Not surprised. Recent emails uncover the fact that this was his "bruder".

XdTHxKIh.jpg
That guy? He knows nothing!

It says Snoopy is flying a Sopwith Camel, which had two fixed forward-firing Vickers machine guns. But Snoopy definitely has a movable machine gun in this video:

Single seat British fighter with a swivel-mounted machine gun? The Airco DH2 is the answer. While most pictures/artist renderings of the DH2 make it look like a fixed gun, it was actually a Lewis machine gun that could be moved to several different mounts. Most pilots preferred it to be locked down in the forward-firing position with a device invented by Lanoe Hawker, VC.

So this means the 'DH' in Airco DH2 actually stands for Dog House, and not De Havilland :embarrassed:

Sopwith Camel:
600x_SopwithCamel_Barker.jpg

Airco DH2
1314724.jpg

I know, I'm probably over-thinking this… :tongue:

He probably went with the popular model, after all CS wasn't a Brit.
I'm guessing he meant an SE5A but it may just have been literary licence by the animator :shrug:

raf_se-5a-s.gif

the
It says Snoopy is flying a Sopwith Camel, which had two fixed forward-firing Vickers machine guns. But Snoopy definitely has a movable machine gun in this video:

Single seat British fighter with a swivel-mounted machine gun? The Airco DH2 is the answer. While most pictures/artist renderings of the DH2 make it look like a fixed gun, it was actually a Lewis machine gun that could be moved to several different mounts. Most pilots preferred it to be locked down in the forward-firing position with a device invented by Lanoe Hawker, VC.

So this means the 'DH' in Airco DH2 actually stands for Dog House, and not De Havilland :embarrassed:

Sopwith Camel:
600x_SopwithCamel_Barker.jpg

Airco DH2
1314724.jpg

I know, I'm probably over-thinking this… :tongue:

In 1916 Manfred Von Richtofen(the real Red Raron. i prefer Der Rote Kampfflieger ) shot to fame shooting down Lanoe Hawker VC . Hawkers DH2 was no match for MVR's Albatross. The Lewis gun in the DH2 however wasnt moveable

the

In 1916 Manfred Von Richtofen(the real Red Raron. i prefer Der Rote Kampfflieger ) shot to fame shooting down Lanoe Hawker VC . Hawkers DH2 was no match for MVR's Albatross. The Lewis gun in the DH2 however wasnt moveable
Pilots did not move the gun, no. But it was intended and designed that the gun was movable. Pilots were actually brought up on charges if they 'fixed' the gun in place, until Lanoe Hawker devised a device that locked down the gun in the fixed forward firing postion, but still allowed the pilot to unlock it and move it, which pilots never did. But yes, it 'could' be moved in flight. It just never was, to any real degree.

"The DH.2 was armed with a single .303 in (7.7 mm)Lewis gun which was originally able to be positioned on one of three flexible mountings in the cockpit, with the pilot transferring the gun between mountings in flight at the same time as flying the aircraft. Once pilots learned that the best method of achieving a kill was to aim the aircraft rather than the gun, the machine gun was fixed in the forward-facing centre mount, although this was initially banned by higher authorities until a clip which fixed the gun in place but could be released if required was approved.[2] Major Lanoe Hawker devised the clip." - wikipedia

Last edited:
Judging by the exhaust, is that only an inline 6? That vehicle needs a small block V8 :embarrassed:
The 6 was part of the concept. According to this article: http://www.streetmusclemag.com/news/what-happend-to-chuck-millers-red-baron/
The original design was for the Monogram model kit:

He designed the Baron as a C-Cab T-bucket with a helmet for a body, and a WWI German inline six aircraft engine as the power plant.
...but when he was commissioned to build a real street rod, he used a Pontiac engine instead in order to stay close to the model.

Since the power plant of the model was a German Aircraft inline six, Miller didn’t want to use a V-8. Instead he found a 1968 Pontiac OHC Inline Six to use as a substitute. He then attached a zoomie header, as well as a helmet-shaped air cleaner and thus the Red Baron was born.

red-baron-pontiac-six.jpg

Last edited:
Pilots did not move the gun, no. But it was intended and designed that the gun was movable. Pilots were actually brought up on charges if they 'fixed' the gun in place, until Lanoe Hawker devised a device that locked down the gun in the fixed forward firing postion, but still allowed the pilot to unlock it and move it, which pilots never did. But yes, it 'could' be moved in flight. It just never was, to any real degree.

"The DH.2 was armed with a single .303 in (7.7 mm)Lewis gun which was originally able to be positioned on one of three flexible mountings in the cockpit, with the pilot transferring the gun between mountings in flight at the same time as flying the aircraft. Once pilots learned that the best method of achieving a kill was to aim the aircraft rather than the gun, the machine gun was fixed in the forward-facing centre mount, although this was initially banned by higher authorities until a clip which fixed the gun in place but could be released if required was approved.[2] Major Lanoe Hawker devised the clip." - wikipedia
Hawker was one helluva pilot. I was reading the other day about how he mounted a Lewis gun on a BE12( just a regular BE.2 with the observers cockpit closed) to fire away from the propeller arc. He would literally have to fly sideways (crablike) towards the German aircracft and managed to score scored kills with this mock up.
It's a crying shame so many brave RFC and RAF pilots died in outdated and poorly designed aircraft .

Back