the Peanuts cartoon lied to us

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
It says Snoopy is flying a Sopwith Camel, which had two fixed forward-firing Vickers machine guns. But Snoopy definitely has a movable machine gun in this video:

Single seat British fighter with a swivel-mounted machine gun? The Airco DH2 is the answer. While most pictures/artist renderings of the DH2 make it look like a fixed gun, it was actually a Lewis machine gun that could be moved to several different mounts. Most pilots preferred it to be locked down in the forward-firing position with a device invented by Lanoe Hawker, VC.

So this means the 'DH' in Airco DH2 actually stands for Dog House, and not De Havilland :embarrassed:

Sopwith Camel:
600x_SopwithCamel_Barker.jpg

Airco DH2
1314724.jpg

I know, I'm probably over-thinking this… :tongue:

I painted my 63 dune buggy to emulate a Red Barron theme - I have a little pin in the dashboard with Snoopy getting shot at.

In the absence of Charles Shultz. I pronounce that I am hereby the expert on this subject due to my red paint and iron cross decals. I will consider this threads question and reply back with my newly announced expertise accordingly.

The speed and maneuverability were way too nimble to be a DH2. :embarrassed:
The DH2 was very maneuverable, but you are right on the speed, climbing performance, etc. It had a 'dog' of an engine.

Sometimes, out of a full squadron flight, you'd have 3 or 4 aircraft drop out because of engine trouble. And that was common.

Back