The Order of Pedals

reverend1

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I'm sure there's a thread about this somewhere in here, but I'm too lazy to look. I'm not a huge pearl guy but I picked up a boost pedal at P-stock and I'm thinking of stringing everything together and actually using some pedals. Novel idea, I know.

So here's what I currently have.

- Red Witch Lily Boost

-Mojo Hand Mule (fuzz)

-DS-1 (keely mod)

-Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay

- Korg Tuner

I always put my tuner near the front. It's more accurate when it's not getting any signal change from modulation or distortion pedals.

As for your boost and fuzz, it may take some trial and error. Some pedals act like amps and like being boosted before hand... some sound like moist ass. In that case, put the boost after the fact to boost the already dirty signal.

Delay is best at the end of the chain (or even in the loop).

Also, I like Mark's idea of having the booster be at the end... so you also can boost the delay without touching anything else.

Id probably try tuner, fuzz, distortion, delay and then boost
Mark, of course, is way more knowledgeable than I, but to me, the difference between boost doing in to other dirt or drive pedals is you drive those pedals a bit more. Putting the boost at the end of the chain makes it "boost" the tone you already have going more. At least that is how I understand it. Other than that, Mark's order looks right to me. But again, that is like the kindergartner agreeing with the professor's statement.

Mark's answer is the way most folks run them. The boost can be used in multiple places depending on what you are trying to boost. If you want just a general volume boost to your signal, then at the end is where you want it. I put a boost in front of my Rat to kick the amount of distortion up a notch but the overall volume stays the same.

I've been switching mine around a lot lately, and this is what I'm happiest with so far:

[guitar]
wah
tuner
noise suppressor (used to have this at the end, but my P-90's were getting all dirty and the sound was harder to control)
ODs
Dirt
Fuzz
chorus
tremolo
delay
reverb
[amp]

Given that list of pedal types, what Mark said.

Futures? Another boost pedal just before the dirt pedals as mentioned above.

Mine:
Guitar
Tuner
Amp.

I got a pos ss Crate with a shitty sounding clean so why bother with a pedal. The two gain channels are actually not too bad really. Definitely worth the $35 my wife paid for it.

Considering the earth shaking amount of distortion you have, I would put the boost last, as you don't need to use it to drive anything into clipping. You want it as a clean boost at the end of your signal.

Put the delay before the boost.

Put the tuner first.

The dirt pedals go in whichever order you like better. Personally I'd put the Mule before the delay, and the DS1 in the recycle bin. :tongue:

If I had your gear, it would be tuner, fuzz, distortion, boost and then delay. I use delay for solos as well as the boost. I rarely use delay for rhythm sounds.

Distortion set to around 12-1 on the drive. Don't need a lot.

I would do tuner, fuzz, distortion, delay and then boost. The fuzz and distortion are probably interchangeable. If you're going to use them both at the same time, see which one sounds better - distorting the fuzz or fuzzing the distortion.

So, most are voting for boost at the end...for extra volume for clean and/or distortion. Interesting. I always put mine before the dirt, to get the dirt dirtier. Of course, both have their applications. Just a matter of taste I suppose.

So, most are voting for boost at the end...for extra volume for clean and/or distortion. Interesting. I always put mine before the dirt, to get the dirt dirtier. Of course, both have their applications. Just a matter of taste I suppose.

In this case, the DS-1 puts out so much distortion, that there's really no need to boost it. And if you did want to boost it, the Mule makes for a great boost with the gain down.

Pedalboard REF2.jpg

Back