The Explorer Kit Guitar Project

I was going #2 when I initially read this this morning. LOL

You think it would cost a lot to knurl 13mm rod stock, drill a hole in the center, and thread it to M8x1.25?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

It was $30 to drill the two holes in the bridge bigger, so I could use the posts that were in the guitar. So, yeah.

uploadfromtaptalk1404924495803.jpg

Anybody ever use Minwax Express Color?

Hey. Don't think I was a member here when you started the thread but yes, I've used color express.
2 things, if it's something like swamp ash you may have better results. Also if you stick to a single applicaiton like the instructional video shows (where you can still see the grain) it would have a better result at least for me. I should have stopped while I was ahead.

I tried applying it to mahogany and applied 3 coats to have a solid finish. The more I applied the more it was uneven and streaked. I tried different applications processes and applicators but I spent a good amount of time sanding. It's water based and it was my first water based finish so maybe it was me. In any case I think it was the hardest finish that I ever applied. And the thought was, it would be the easiest.

In case you're wondering, the wife is on a trip for job training so me and the kid are left to fend for ourselves. LOL And I have time to do things while he's at day camp.

As you can see, the neck is set. I got some wood filler to fill in the gaps between the body and the neck. I'm going to sand that smooth then, at some point, stain the body and then seal it up with TruOil.

nude9a3y.jpg

This cabernet stain looked really nice on the sample blocks at Lowe's.

Wash your hands after the buttery corn on the cob, and fried chicken.
The chicken was baked. But of course. LOL

Probably not going to stain it today, though, since I have to figure out how to hang it in my parents' garage. I did my red Tele in there, though. Just gotta remember what I did. LOL

Back