That incredible instrument that hates you

Danhedonia

Noted duckfat enthusiast
I love my Reverend Decision bass. Everything about it from looks to build quality to sound(s) screams 'amazing.'

But it doesn't love me back. It's much harder for me to play than my other basses. And there's some weird anti-Zen thing where I wind up repeatedly hammering on a nerve in one of my pinky joints on this bass only.

I love my Reverend bass, but it don't love me back. Ever had one of those?

My buddy's '57 Les Paul with original PAFs and factory Bigsby. It's the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen, and it sounds like god. The neck is quite literally a baseball bat though, and I just can't deal with it.

Did not get PM, but while I'm not spamming, I'd say that about the only folks I'd be willing to sell it to are on this board.

Point being, there are instruments (and, um, other things ....) that we often wish treated us differently.

I love my surbahar. But it’s totally off-balance and so playing it can be exhausting. I felt the same way about an Epiphone Thunderbird bass; it sounded amazing and the neck was great, but it was too off-balance to be playable.

Recently found an Epi TB bass, and it was awesome sitting down. Then I stood up. "Oh well."
+1 to Leo > Les. For me, so much that it ain't even funny.

I love playing Les Pauls. But I just can’t deal with the crazy weight of the damned things digging into my shoulder. But Gibson solved that problem with the SG.

I have a love-hate thing going on with this monstrosity.
Sounds great, balance is good, Bigsby works pretty well, and looks cool as hell.
The neck tho, it's that wide thin deal, not my thing for comfort.
IMG_1086.JPG

WTF is the "Custom Made" plate? Is this what Gibson CS guitars wear?

It was a thing with the Gibson Custom Shop in the past. I’m not sure what years they did it, but I think it was and on/off thing in the 60s and 70s. And because the nameplates are plastic they age better than the nitro finish, so they look absolutely horrible on vintage guitars.

I've had one shitty week, and for the first time in a long time I'm laughing ... over a stupid nameplate! Gibson, man, it's like a never ending river of piss poor ideas. I'm sure these are coming back, along with those butter-soft zero frets and auto-tuners.

lulz. Thank you.

The "Custom Made" plate goes way back. If you ordered a factory Bigsby on a guitar that normally didn't have that option they covered the stop tailpiece holes with that plaque. Nowadays you can get a repro plaque for a few bucks to do the same thing.
IMG_1089.JPG

Last edited:
The "Custom Made" plate goes way back. If you ordered a factory Bigsby on a guitar that normally didn't have that option they covered the stop tailpiece holes with that plaque. Nowadays you can get a repro plaque for a few bucks to do the same thing.
View attachment 32855

ROFL. Did it not occur to them to just not drill the holes in the first place?

I'm sure it was programmed via CNC machine and was probably cheaper to cover the holes than to either rewrite the program or have somebody manually standing by to skip that step.

It was easier to build em all the same way, and if someone ordered a Bigsby, just pull a dry one of the appropriate color out of the painted ones and viola. This was back before there was any such concept of a "custom shop".

Last edited:
My buddy's '57 Les Paul with original PAFs and factory Bigsby. It's the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen, and it sounds like god. The neck is quite literally a baseball bat though, and I just can't deal with it.

Ha! Sounds like a dream to me. I LOVE necks like that.

Back