Superbowl Food...What ya makin?

Just pulled it off the grill a few minutes ago. Slow cooked it with apple wood chips at 250-300 degrees for a few hours until it reached the right internal temp.
147975049_5854123867946789_5278644435482455416_o.jpg

EDIT:
This is the recipe. I made some modifications. I used thick cut bacon that I picked up from the local packing house. I used bottled minced garlic instead of garlic powder. I also use a whole bone in turkey breast that I removed the skin from. The bacon provides more than enough fat to keep the turkey moist. I used applewood wood chips on my Weber gas grill and slow smoked this at about 250-325 degrees for several hours until I reached an internal temp of 165 F.

THIS WAS THE BEST TURKEY I'VE HAD IN MY LIFE! Perfectly moist and tender. Flavorful. Wonderful. Sublime. Served with homemade mac and cheese, Hawaiian dinner rolls, and finely chopped sauteed Brussel sprouts with bacon. Paired with a nice Italian Prosecco and a French Vouvray.

https://www.allrecipes.com/.../245049/bacon-wrapped-turkey/

Last edited:
Reactions: Tig
That looks amazing. I haven't had really good Indian food since before the pandemic started. I occasionally make a big pot of chicken korma or masala, but that's hardly real when you are using store bought sauces.

If you get yourself hooked up with the right spices it's not difficult to make amazing Indian curries in your house - much better than using shop bought jars and the process is largely the same for any curry. It was always one of those cuisine's I thought would be really difficult but it's not at all.

We've been experimenting with a new book based on BIR (British Indian Restaurant) style where you pre cook base gravy and the meat then you can put everything together in 10-15 minutes. It's a bit of a faff tbh but it does mean you've got everything sitting ready to go if you batch cook everything on the weekend.

At the start of the pandemic we were using this guys recipes - he's head chefs from, imo, the best Indian place in Glasgow. Takes longer to cook than the BIR versions but the curries are outstanding and even missing out the odd ingredient we couldn't source hasn't affected the curry much.

Here's the korma - I've not made it at home but in the restaurant I went for it once (I'd never do a korma usually) and it was great:

Here's his tikka masala which is great:

We've tried a bunch of other ones and they've all turned out great.

I've got an even better tikka marinade recipe somewhere I'll dig out - sometimes I make it and just eat the chicken sans sauce it's that good - if we were doing Super Bowl food I'd probably have just done a big platter of that with spiced onions for a dip and call it a day.

Just remember Tikka Masala is British "Indian inspired" :corksniffer:

Tbh that's the first time I've ever read it being native to India - legend is that it was first created here in the 70s either i a restaurant in Glasgow or Birmingham (depending where you live)

This looks a lot more basic than most other recipes I've tried but that's not to say it won't be good. Bumped it to tomorrow so will report back.

Not sure if it's the same as your book but I'm disappointed with that curry recipe.

It's not really tikka imo and the sauce was OK but nothing special, reminded me of a pasta sauce more than Indian.

Mrs JBJs naans were the highlight. We both agreed it was better as something to go on a wrap / hoagie etc... as opposed to a standalone curry.

20210213_180157.jpg
20210213_180236.jpg
20210213_180249.jpg
20210213_181306.jpg

Back