Sound diffusers in front of amps

cvogue

Yes, that's Oolong. :)
So, when I saw The Who a few months ago they had these silver pillar looking things in front of most of their speakers. My keyboardist was telling me about some device that diffuses the sound and gets rid of the "beam" of sound that guitar speakers create.

He was going to send me a link, I've been Googling and haven't found anything... supposedly they're expensive (about 300 bucks) but they do an amazing job. I'm not going to buy one for that price but it's a very interesting concept. I use beam blockers on my guitar speakers...

Anybody seen these things? Link if ya got em!

tell-him-weve.jpg

:grin:

I don't think I've seen that. I've played venues that supplied gobos but nothing like that.

I doubt it makes a difference relative to his hearing. Townshend’s hearing is so bad that he’s probably using custom-fitted earplug monitors as hearing aids. It’s probably to get a better sound for the people paying crazy prices to sit close to the stage.

I doubt it makes a difference relative to his hearing. Townshend’s hearing is so bad that he’s probably using custom-fitted earplug monitors as hearing aids. It’s probably to get a better sound for the people paying crazy prices to sit close to the stage.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking... if you're sitting farther back in the cheap seats you get the PA mix but the up front folks should get better sound I'd think.

These tackle dummies "The Who" are using seem incredibly inefficient regarding size versus feasibility. Why the hell are those amps there used anyway? No one at the level actually uses amps on stage anymore...AC/DC are just set decoration, so are Mark Knopfler's.

These tackle dummies "The Who" are using seem incredibly inefficient regarding size versus feasibility. Why the hell are those amps there used anyway? No one at the level actually uses amps on stage anymore...AC/DC are just set decoration, so are Mark Knopfler's.

There have been rumors that Townshend can barely hear at times. Maybe he has to blast amps so loud that he can feel the vibrations to know what he’s playing.

There have been rumors that Townshend can barely hear at times. Maybe he has to blast amps so loud that he can feel the vibrations to know what he’s playing.

Actually I've read that he doesn't have his amps on very loud at all lately, maybe 3 or 4 on his Vibrokings... I was thinking the same thing but nope, he has them at a lower volume. Not sure how he hears what he's playing, in ear monitors (aka hearing aids?) maybe?

Back