sooooo... my guitar tech

Even I can rewire a guitar most of the time without fucking it up. Instructions or not. I have Google. Does your guy not have Google?

Personally I wouldn't let this clown ever touch one of my guitars again, and I'd be tempted to try and get my money back for unsatisfactory work.

There are a ton of videos on the youtubes telling one how to identify the leads of a guitar pickup with a multi-meter. Once you know what the leads are, you can just follow any number of excellent wiring diagrams out there. Seymour Duncan has just about every iteration of guitar on their wiring page.

You can get a multimeter for like 10 bucks on Amazon....and you can use it for other stuff too.

http://www.amazon.com/Volmate-Digit...TF8&qid=1441117946&sr=8-4&keywords=multimeter

Fuck this guy in general, but especially after he broke a part during repair and charged you for it. Why did you go back?

Quick update… I screwed up. I originally thought that I had purchased all 3 pickups from Dragonfire guitars, but I was wrong. I found out last night that one pickup was purchased from guitar fetish and the two other were from Dragonfire. I checked their websites though and they use the same pickup color wiring codes.

whoops

Sounds like the guy is a marginally competent douchenozzle - charging you for a part he broke? I'd find a new tech.

Even I can rewire a guitar most of the time without fucking it up. Instructions or not. I have Google. Does your guy not have Google?

Personally I wouldn't let this clown ever touch one of my guitars again, and I'd be tempted to try and get my money back for unsatisfactory work.

Let's see how good you are then. When can we work on my Ibanez?

Double foul not withstanding, this guy sounds like a shade tree tech at best.

Every post I remember related to this guy paints him in a less flattering light than before.

Sorry John, but if it were me, I'd leave a rubber patch on the asphalt getting away from that nonsense.

I know precisely jack shit about guitar wiring, and my soldering skills are atrocious, but in the last year or so I have managed to completely rewire 3 guitars of varying configurations including one with a TBX tone pot, dual buckers, and a coil tap switch without ending up with a noisy menace or electrocuting myself by simply following the wealth of great instructional sites, manufacturer sites, and schematics.

If I can do it, a monkey can do it. There's no rocket science or magic in determining which wires are which as they exit the pick up housing regardless of the variety of color codes used by the bazillion builders.

North is always North, South is always South.

It's no biggie if you don't want to do it yourself, but if you're going to pay someone, pay someone with the proper knowledge and skills.

So I took the guitar to my tech during my lunch hour. I had sent him the schematics of the pickups I found last night. He said, “I’m really sorry about this. I got the stuff from last night so I should be able to fix this. BTW, are these pickups supposed to be a humbucker in a single coil size? Because I have them wired just like standard Strat pickups”.

Oh balls.

It’s a total shame about my tech. In the past, he’s done some good work for me. But I think once I get this back, it’s time to move on.
It sucks because he’s local(within 3 minutes of my office) and his pricing is pretty good(for the most part).

This should be the last update about this issue... my tech called me up last night saying that he rewired the pickups to be humbuckers(as he should have done in the first place), but he still can't get rid of the buzz.

He went on to say that he can't spend anymore time working on it and he would refund me my money.

Oh well... time to look for a new tech.

This should be the last update about this issue... my tech called me up last night saying that he rewired the pickups to be humbuckers(as he should have done in the first place), but he still can't get rid of the buzz.

He went on to say that he can't spend anymore time working on it and he would refund me my money.

Oh well... time to look for a new tech.
Geez.

Well, at least you'll get your money back.

Five bucks says Captain Numbnuts cold soldered a ground somewhere.

Back