Dig it! Some tasty firebird tonez

I love how these 63/64 birds sound like a big huge strat or something. It's a great sound. I wonder why Gibson doesn't make a vintage bird pickup and offer them in a variety of guitars.

I love how these 63/64 birds sound like a big huge strat or something. It's a great sound. I wonder why Gibson doesn't make a vintage bird pickup and offer them in a variety of guitars.

Cause they are dumb. FirebirdX actually had alnico mini's believe it or not.

I think mostly because people think Firebirds should sound like Explorers. Honestly, if they wanted to corner the (my) market- just put fucking p90's in them already.

Cause they are dumb. FirebirdX actually had alnico mini's believe it or not.

I think mostly because people think Firebirds should sound like Explorers. Honestly, if they wanted to corner the (my) market- just put fucking p90's in them already.

I think those firebird x minis are the same ones that went into the LP 70s tribute model.
Don't know how they're actually made, though.
And it's kinda weird why they don't use em more...looks like a fairly simple design.
What I love about them is inherent to the design...It's a bar magnet wrapped with wire under a metal cover, which is the same basic design as the old Dano lipsticks, except there are two coils.
I have a Duncan SM3 neck that's my favorite neck pickup ever. The SM3 is Seymour's hotter version but the neck pickup is identical to the SM1 vintage neck. It's just the bridge pickup that gets the boost. My SM3n reads 6.72k on the meter. It's not hot.
But it is four wire and it sounds killer as a single coil. Obviously there's a big drop in output but no different than if you had a pickup with one humbucker and one lipstick...
Anyway, my white guitar sounds just like a strat neck pickup when using the mini as a single coil. Great sounds.

An alnico blade mini is one of the best kept secrets in the business. My next build will have a pair of em. :grin:

^^^ Desription of those pickups is one reason I still am gassing for this:

IW12092736-front-large.jpg

Back