So, I've got $200 to spend at Guitar Center

BrammyH

Grandpa Whine
Between the work gift and some extra money, I've got about $200 to spend at Guitar Center. I'm leaning towards an effect pedal since I'm all set on accessories.

I'm also pretty well set on pedals with the usual suspects (too many distortion pedals), chorus, echo, reverb, fuzz.

So, I'm thinking of either:
- A flanger and a noise gate
- A Digitech Whammy
- Maybe a Pinnacle -- but I'm pretty happy with my Custom '78 Badass.

Any other fun pedals I can get in that range that GC sells?

I have no idea what guitar center sell for pedals. I love my Subdecay Stargate Flanger.
The Earthquaker Devices Aferneath is pretty cool too.

I would dismiss the Noise Gate. By turning off a high gain pedal and reducing your guitar volume will cure that problem.

Whammy's are fun as I own one. I mostly use it for an octave harmonizer when I was in my Tom Petty tribute.

Flangers are tough...I own an old A/DA Flanger and the sound I wanted was a chorus which it can do. Also the swoosh sound ala Pat Travers was done with the A/DA. I also own the TC Chorus/Flanger that has been around since the 80's. Only used the Flanger for playing Heart's Barracuda when I do. Otherwise it is mostly on the Chorus function.

GC now sells Wampler pedals so if you want a Pinnacle, they have it. How about an mp3 recorder instead?

Last edited:
Get the little Yamaha Guitulele. They're about $100 with a case and a lot of fun. Or a Gretsch New Yorker mandolin.

Search the used site. If you see something you like, call and ask for better pics. Their used prices are reasonable.

So far, the Whammy is in the lead. There's a GC about an hour from me that has a Whammy 4 for $99. I might just get the new one. Not sure that the differences are. I've also got a thing about buying anything with a rocker used.

So far, the Whammy is in the lead. There's a GC about an hour from me that has a Whammy 4 for $99. I might just get the new one. Not sure that the differences are. I've also got a thing about buying anything with a rocker used.

The Whammy 4 is not true bypass so I would recommend a Whammy 5. There are mods out there if you want to DIY on a 4. Then again only you can decide whether it is electronic or true bypass that you want.

Yeah, I'm getting the V.

At this point, I'm in the nice position of not needing any pedals, really. I've been looking for something that will give me the quirky Vai-type sounds and the demos have me sold.

Back