So everyone is excited for the Halvorson/Frisell record, yeah?

Flamencology

You don't deserve koa.
EE402169-A29F-4648-92CF-9DB8AC82A604.jpeg

As much as I appreciate both her skill as a musician and her helping to break up the sausagefest that is jazz guitar, I've never been into free/avant garde and thus haven't really gotten into her playing. That said, I love Frisell, and I'm intrigued that it looks like they're mostly playing standards here.

Last edited:
As much as I appreciate both her skill as a musician and her helping to break up the sausagefest that is jazz guitar, I've never been into free/avante guarde and thus haven't really gotten into her playing. That said, I love Frisell, and I'm intrigued that it looks like they're mostly playing standards here.

Yeah, it’s a tribute to Johnny Smith. This is definitely one of her least avant-garde recordings.

As much as I appreciate both her skill as a musician and her helping to break up the sausagefest that is jazz guitar, I've never been into free/avante guarde and thus haven't really gotten into her playing. That said, I love Frisell, and I'm intrigued that it looks like they're mostly playing standards here.

you might want to be more open and put your "avante guarde" down.

Here's the link with some samples of each song. At first skim, it sounds to me like a very good guitar player playing with another out-of-tune guitar player who keep reaching down and messing with the repeat knobs on their delay pedal. I'm guessing the out-of-tune one is probably Halvorson.

I'll admit, I have never really been into anything I've listened to from Halvorson very much. There seems to be a fine line between out and out of key/out of tune, and most of what I have heard from her is on the wrong side of the line for my taste. Frisell, on the other hand, is a sublime living legend to me. I'll give it all a few more listens and see if it sinks in.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-maid-with-the-flaxen-hair-a-tribute-to-johnny-smith/1412954804?ign-mpt=uo=4

Back