Screamin' Jay Hawkins was blackout drunk when he recorded "I Put a Spell On You."

BS555

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I've always loved this song, but never knew this. Makes you appreciate it a bit more, it sounds wonderfully theatric and powerful for someone who was piss drunk!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screamin'_Jay_Hawkins

Hawkins' most successful recording, "I Put a Spell on You" (1956), was selected as one of The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 500 Songs that Shaped Rock and Roll. According to the AllMusic Guide to the Blues, "Hawkins originally envisioned the tune as a refined ballad."[3] The entire band was intoxicated during a recording session where "Hawkins screamed, grunted, and gurgled his way through the tune with utter drunken abandon."[3] The resulting performance was no ballad but instead a "raw, guttural track" that became his greatest commercial success and reportedly surpassed a million copies in sales,[5][6] although it failed to make the Billboard pop or R&B charts.[7][8]

The performance was mesmerizing, although Hawkins himself blacked out and was unable to remember the session.[6] Afterward he had to relearn the song from the recorded version.[6] Meanwhile the record label released a second version of the single, removing most of the grunts that had embellished the original performance; this was in response to complaints about the recording's overt sexuality.[6] Nonetheless it was banned from radio in some areas.

Hawkins had originally intended to record "I Put a Spell on You" as a refined love song, a blues ballad. He reported, however, that the producer "brought in ribs and chicken and got everybody drunk, and we came out with this weird version... I don't even remember making the record. Before, I was just a normal blues singer. I was just Jay Hawkins. It all sort of just fell in place. I found out I could do more destroying a song and screaming it to death."

2xJnBLE.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

My father was a guard at the prison in Ohio where screamin' jay Hawkins did some time, and became friends with jay and his sister.

I saw him at Chicago's Blues Fest back in the 1990s. He climbed into/out of a giant toilet at one point in the show.

I'm shocked. Next they're gonna tell us that Bob Marley was smoking weed when they recorded Burnin'. :embarrassed:

J/K of course - cool story!

Back