Scalloped between a few fretts.

mikesr1963

Gonna walk my dog, you?
I watch a few gear videos of some players and saw they had their fret-board scalloped near the pickups. I thought I'd try it on one of my guitars. I think it turned out okay but now I have an urge to wear leather pants and throw my guitar over my shoulder. WTF man, someone got a jelly doughnut?

11080992_977796562232129_389445324828470614_n.jpg 11078071_977798592231926_181760036666288905_n.jpg

Did you also Bedazzle it and adorn it with Herbie's racing number?
Why yes I did; only for me it's my birth date. This is my scrapbook guitar. For instance there is a state quarter for each of the different states my wife and I had one of our children in. There is a Texas quarter in remembrance of Stevie Ray Vaughan. There's two dimes: One the year of Dimebag's birth and one the year of his death. There's a military crest for the Strategic Air Command that I served in for several years that has now been phased out. There's an American Eagle that I got in Sturgis, South Dakota during one of the motorcycle rallies I attended. The little square rebel flag is a reproduction of Virginia's during the Civil War that I picked up while touring the Civil War Museum in Richmond, Virginia, where GWAR and Lamb of God are from. The Patriot for Peace button; never met a veteran who wasn't one. The rubies, my wife's birth stone, individually placed on by me for each time I tell my wife I love her each day and acknowledge that without her over the last 38 years I would not be who I am today. On the back, I love America, nuff said. Redskins 75th anniversary coin and sticker been a fan since 1976. The Z sticker from a hat my son got me for father's day. The Turkey Rare Breed label custom made for me cause I think it's the best sipping bourbon on the planet. The butterflies, my daughter saw them and liked them one day while we were shopping when she was around 10; she's 20 now. The NRA sticker because I'm a member and promote the 2nd Amendment whenever I can and have and enjoy a variety of firearms. You don't have like because the only person it matters to is me and the stories I can tell each time I'm seen playing it.

2.JPG IMG_0826.JPG

Last edited:
Watch your finger tips peel. Scalloped boards are rough on callouses. Wears 'em out real fast!
It's only the 6 frets near the pickups. If you're tearing your callouses off it's because you're not sanding them down and maintaining them. In other words, you're doing it wrong.

Don't listen to the haters.... I think it's pretty cool. I wouldn't want scalloped frets up where I do most of my chording, but the only reason I ever play past the 17th fret is during a solo, so having that smooth bendy vibrato zone would be pretty cool.

Why yes I did; only for me it's my birth date. This is my scrapbook guitar. For instance there is a state quarter for each of the different states my wife and I had one of our children in. There is a Texas quarter in remembrance of Stevie Ray Vaughan. There's two dimes: One the year of Dimebag's birth and one the year of his death. There's a military crest for the Strategic Air Command that I served in for several years that has now been phased out. There's an American Eagle that I got in Sturgis, South Dakota during one of the motorcycle rallies I attended. The little square rebel flag is a reproduction of Virginia's during the Civil War that I picked up while touring the Civil War Museum in Richmond, Virginia, where GWAR and Lamb of God are from. The Patriot for Peace button; never met a veteran who wasn't one. The rubies, my wife's birth stone, individually placed on by me for each time I tell my wife I love her each day and acknowledge that without her over the last 38 years I would not be who I am today. On the back, I love America, nuff said. Redskins 75th anniversary coin and sticker been a fan since 1976. The Z sticker from a hat my son got me for father's day. The Turkey Rare Breed label custom made for me cause I think it's the best sipping bourbon on the planet. The butterflies, my daughter saw them and liked them one day while we were shopping when she was around 10; she's 20 now. The NRA sticker because I'm a member and promote the 2nd Amendment whenever I can and have and enjoy a variety of firearms. You don't have like because the only person it matters to is me and the stories I can tell each time I'm seen playing it.

View attachment 19587 View attachment 19588
Wow,

Long retort to rhetorical question is long.

I think it's cool that you personalized it in a way that has so much special meaning to you.

I sand/file my fingertip calluses daily. It keeps the skin tough, but smooth which helps significantly in terms of playing. I can't for the life of me understand why any player wouldn't do it. Uneven calluses and the little catchy bits of dead skin are maddening.

It's not like it hurts or anything.

My fingertips are like stones--no uneven parts, and no shreddy dead skin pieces. So I never rip off callouses.

I sand/file my fingertip calluses daily. It keeps the skin tough, but smooth which helps significantly in terms of playing. I can't for the life of me understand why any player wouldn't do it. Uneven calluses and the little catchy bits of dead skin are maddening.

It's not like it hurts or anything.

I just don't play for a day or two and all is back to normal. The only time I sand is when the skin starts tearing and I gotta play a gig. This is usually after a day of letting the fingers rest.

Back