Sausage Fest Chicago style

Dew Knot Humps

Les Paulverizer
A soup I’m making tonight calls for Polish sausage so I had to go over by the sausage store earlier to get some. I put on a track suit for added authenticity so I’d fit in.

They don’t have places like this in Montana. When you get close you are greeted by the aroma of wood smoke similar to what you would smell in the forests around Warsaw. When you walk in hints of pork, beef and garlic join the olfactory bouquet. I’ve heard people say they sometimes feel intimated in these types of places if they don’t speak Polish but I’ve never had that problem. Maybe it’s because I’m genetically rocking a strong Eastern European vibe.
IMG_8139.jpeg
IMG_8151.jpeg
IMG_8137.jpeg

Did you bring a friend so you could help the owner change a lightbulb?

I don’t dine on critters any more, but back when I did local sassidge delicacies were one of my fav things. Used to have to haul ass with a cooler full of ice and encased meats when I lived in KC because my friend there who was of the Polish persuasion couldn’t get the good stuff in Cow Town and he’d make me haul him back a huge supply.

Is that the shop that’s only open on cold days because they lost the recipe for ice cubes?

Fwiw, we have a couple of reputable/irreputable (depending on who you ask and who's asking) sausage places here in Western Michigan. Gotta love a vendor of cured meats.

Here’s the real world practical application of some of that sausage. A savory and delicious Polish sausage (two types, swojka and lesna), red cabbage tomato soup with homemade chicken stock, a little rice, a few frijoles colorado’s, carrots and the soup staples onion, celery and garlic.
IMG_8181.jpeg

this thread is causing me to go find my grandmother's soup recipes. there's 2 of them she used to make when we were over to her house.
both of them are Amish types, since we're from Lancaster Pa.

Back