Dig it! Roland JC-40

CBHScott

How did I get here?
Announced at Summer NAMM:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JC40/

image_04_L.jpg

Reactions: Tig
I went on a bit of an OGG tongue in cheek rant about this yesterday on Facebook. Dirty Bastards. Of course I'm all over this thing. Nice to see Roland doing something right after several years of rectal-cranial displacement syndrome.

The modernization is welcome. True stereo inputs and a headphone jack are massive selling points. Ten inch speakers like in the 77 as opposed to the eights in the 55 is also a big selling point.

If it really does maintain the classic JC sound while bringing the amp into this century in a manageable overall package that has a good combination of wattage and portability, I will HAVE to buy one. Probably two.

Bastards.

I was about to post that OGG should love it. But I see I'm too late.

As for me? Yep, right up my alley if I ever need a gig amp.

I can't wait to try one. If they sound as good as the 120, I will probably buy one.

9243eed4d8f4dba61820bee18e5d41f8.jpg

Sounds great. I didn't get a chance to play it myself, but this guy made it sound pretty good.
The distortion was an improvement over the 120, but it still wasn't great.

Tempting but the bottom line is: Do I need an amp like this?

Once again the 20 questions in the equipment purchase process.

No guitar player's arsenal is complete without a JC.

The answer is yes, you do need one.

Wish I could say that - LOL!!!

Saint has a Quilter, which probably sounds close to a JC

Actually not so. The Quilter will break up nicely where a JC will sound like shite in overdrive. In fact a Quilter is about the closest thing to a tube amp that is solid state that I have ever played through. The JC's are brittle clean. Even with a great sounding pedal they kind of sound sterile. It is the clean sound that make you want to own the JC's - crystal clean!!!

Reactions: OGG
So can JCs take effects well? I know the built in distortion is legendarily poor, but could it take something like a MESA V-Twin preamp pedal and sound good?

So can JCs take effects well? I know the built in distortion is legendarily poor, but could it take something like a MESA V-Twin preamp pedal and sound good?

It depends on what pedal you put in front of it. My brother in law used to gig with a 120 and had some Hughes and kettner drive pedal in front and it sounded killer.

This is one of those questions that has no standard answer.

I hear a lot of people swear that they are ONLY good for clean tones and can't take pedals... or that pedals make them sound shitty.

Those people are what I like to call "wrong".

It may not be the best amp for br00tality, but its strongest attribute is the fact that it is crystal clean and transparent. Yes, if you switch on the chorus circuit, it will of course impart that character on your tone. But, as a platform for making pedals sound exactly like they want to, there is nothing that compares.

The built in distortion is garbage. Put a RAT in front of it though, and it kills. Run a multi FX unit into it, and it is anything you want it to be.

You have to just try it - lol. The internal built in distortion is crap - very buzzy sounding to me. I never had any success hence why I don't own one. With the JC-40 I may wait when used ones pop up to get one.

This is one of those questions that has no standard answer.

I hear a lot of people swear that they are ONLY good for clean tones and can't take pedals... or that pedals make them sound shitty.

Those people are what I like to call "wrong".

It may not be the best amp for br00tality, but its strongest attribute is the fact that it is crystal clean and transparent. Yes, if you switch on the chorus circuit, it will of course impart that character on your tone. But, as a platform for making pedals sound exactly like they want to, there is nothing that compares.

The built in distortion is garbage. Put a RAT in front of it though, and it kills. Run a multi FX unit into it, and it is anything you want it to be.

I never had success so for me it is crap. Where I would want to use the JC would be A/B with a tube so I can switch between A) Breakup or Clean (riding volume knob) to B) Super Clean

You have to just try it - lol. The internal built in distortion is crap - very buzzy sounding to me. I never had any success hence why I don't own one. With the JC-40 I may wait when used ones pop up to get one.

I never had success so for me it is crap. Where I would want to use the JC would be A/B with a tube so I can switch between A) Breakup or Clean (riding volume knob) to B) Super Clean
The prosecution rests.

Back