Revisiting the Mickey Baker book

Modern Saint

Starve your Fear, Feed your Dream!
I have attempted a few times to digest the Mickey Baker book and would go up to Exercise 6 and then stop. Well this time I am making it a requirement for me to work in the book 30 minutes a day.

After working with the book for the past 3 days the concepts are starting to stick and I see the purpose of the approach taken. Much of the concepts and harmony are not explained so alot of analysis is needed to understand functionality. What will be cool is taking these ideas into a live context which will be the next challenge.

Those are great books. I haven't even looked at them for probably a decade. Now that gigging is on hold for a while I should really break them back out and try to make it through in logical fashion.

Those are great books. I haven't even looked at them for probably a decade. Now that gigging is on hold for a while I should really break them back out and try to make it through in logical fashion.

The logical part is what I was having issues with. Tougher when you are a self-study. I do know that after several attempts some of it is making sense. I was having trouble with the b5b13 chords and couldn't see it well enough on the fretboard. Sometimes it takes miles to understand that all it is is a tri-tone sub with no root.

I am really digging the harmonies on the bottom 4 strings as this is an area I never fully explored. Especially the I-vi sub relationships

Back