Recommend me a Looper?

Cheese Grits

Kick Henry Jackassowski
If I want to be able to run vox and guitar through it... do I really need something more than a TC Ditto? Maybe the stereo Ditto, which is the same price on Amazon?

I don't currently have a pedal board, so space is not an issue. Yet.

What's so great about the x2? I can't imagine I would use the effects, so is the second switch worth the extra $$$?

I just bought an X2 last month. I'm still learning how to use it, but I'm having a ball playing around with it.

I recently picked up a Boss RC-3 used for about $90. I'm still learning how to use it properly, but I like the features - even the built in drum beats are useful for at home practice. One thing I'm not crazy about though is stopping the recording of the loop. It's is not as easy as I would like since you need to tap the switch 2 times. (I was warned of this by other Weiners.) It's not terrible, but it makes creating loops a little harder as you need to practice the timing of playing and tapping your foot twice very quickly at just the right moment.

Interesting. I would have thought there would be more no-nonsense loopers with a built-in mic pre. It's almost like there is a hole in the market.

I guess the issue is that you probably don't want to run your vocals through your guitar amp, and you probably don't want to run your guitar straight to the PA either.

I think I'm likely to look for a no-frills looper for my guitar amp, and I might pick up a foot switch and mess with the looper feature on my Roland AC-33 for acoustic and vox.

Interesting. I would have thought there would be more no-nonsense loopers with a built-in mic pre. It's almost like there is a hole in the market.

I guess the issue is that you probably don't want to run your vocals through your guitar amp, and you probably don't want to run your guitar straight to the PA either.

I think I'm likely to look for a no-frills looper for my guitar amp, and I might pick up a foot switch and mess with the looper feature on my Roland AC-33 for acoustic and vox.

The problem is you want no frills, but you want a mic input. You either get no frills guitar loopers, or you get the kitchen sink with a mic input.

BOSS does make the RC-30, but you might as well buy the RC-50 if you can get it for a good price. You should also look for the Digitech Jamman Stereo.

I don't currently have a pedal board, so space is not an issue. Yet.

What's so great about the x2? I can't imagine I would use the effects, so is the second switch worth the extra $$$?

It would be great if you needed to have two loops saved, ready to go. They make a X4. Useful if you need it.

I have the Digitech JMVXT JamMan Vocal Looper. Bought it to mic a cajon then, have a beat. It was $30.50 on Amazon. It's $80 now. One thing I did not know about it till I got it, "JamSync - automatically synchronizes with other JamSync-enabled JamMan pedals". That sounds handy but, already have the Ditto.

I've owned most of the loopers on the market and they mostly boil down to a Goldilocks formula. The Boss aircraft carrier can do everything but it's cumbersome, somewhat confusing, and is just okay for work flow. The ditto is so cute and compact everyone should have one for practicing over chord changes but one button makes it inconvenient for live use.

Whether you go Ditto X2, X4, Boomerang III or something else usually comes down to if you need it to carry loops in from home or how many instruments you're looping.

I get around the XLR thing with an XLR to TRS cable and use the right channel of my Boomerang for vocal loops to the board and left channel is in my guitar chain. It's the most versatile looper with the smallest per-feature footprint. I can loop three independent loops or layer two loops simultaneously with AB choice of the second loop over the first rhythm loop. It can stop and start all or individual loop and even fade out, and it's only a hair bigger than two pedals. The only caveat is it only does live, no stored mp3s unless you feed them in on the fly.

I've owned most of the loopers on the market and they mostly boil down to a Goldilocks formula. The Boss aircraft carrier can do everything but it's cumbersome, somewhat confusing, and is just okay for work flow. The ditto is so cute and compact everyone should have one for practicing over chord changes but one button makes it inconvenient for live use.

Whether you go Ditto X2, X4, Boomerang III or something else usually comes down to if you need it to carry loops in from home or how many instruments you're looping.

I get around the XLR thing with an XLR to TRS cable and use the right channel of my Boomerang for vocal loops to the board and left channel is in my guitar chain. It's the most versatile looper with the smallest per-feature footprint. I can loop three independent loops or layer two loops simultaneously with AB choice of the second loop over the first rhythm loop. It can stop and start all or individual loop and even fade out, and it's only a hair bigger than two pedals. The only caveat is it only does live, no stored mp3s unless you feed them in on the fly.
Ooh, thanks! This is sounding like a good option.

I bought the Boss dual foot switch for my AC-33, and I'm really enjoying the ability to be able to do it all with a little teeny portable PA That has a built-in mic preamp, guitar amp, and looper. The only downside is that it doesn't have that long of a loop available.

I don't think I would care about being able to store loops. To me, the only real appeal is being able to make it up as you go.

I'm tempted to pick up a tech 21 amp simulator pedal, and a looper like the one you're talking about, and then take them out and do open mic nights.

If you swing down to barnstorm you can feel free to borrow mine. Just ship it back to me someday as I do use it for a few acoustic open mics from time to time.
Nah, I have anEhx 360 that does all I need...I posted that so CG could see it...

...plus the fact that Mary is really good...

Back