Pre/Channel Strip/EQ Plugins - what are you using?

Danhedonia

Noted duckfat enthusiast
I've been using a few Waves plug ins, and the Tokyo Dawn Nova (which is freaking amazing, let alone that it's free).

What are others using?

I loathe the idea of paying for plugins at the moment...maybe when I get better at this I'll invest in a Waves bundle...

But right now the TDR Nova is my go-to surgical EQ...

Ignite Amps PTEq-X Pulteq style EQ is a really good emulator...the Sonimus SonEQ is quite useful as a parametric EQ, as is the TDR VOS SlickEQ...I also use the Luftikus EQ...

the Shattered Glass Code Red Free is cool...not as good as the Waves version of the REDD console, I'm sure, but still...their SGA1566 Tube Distortion is also very good...the Dead Duck Channel Strip 2 is a good generic plugin, not modeled on anything just works...

The Boz Digital Bark of Dog sub-harmonic enhancer is REALLy good...

But of all the free plugins out there nothing beats the LVC Audio T-Chain...it's a fully customizeable channel strip that you can add any of the included modules to, and in any order...the included modules are...
Clipshifter
Digital Compressor
Digital EQ
Digital Gate
Digital High/Low Pass
Phuzz Saturation
Splitter/Mixer

Plus there are a bunch of Paid Modules available that model various Pre's, Compressors, and EQs...which I will probably add down the road (they have sales every now and then)

I have the Scheps; let me help you perhaps by letting you know that the HALFOFF code works WITH sale prices. :wink:

Pay attention to the Waves site regularly - they pretty much have a sale going constantly, different plugins each week.

As for EQ - my main one is the FabFilter Pro Q (recently upgraded to v. 3). It's amazing. Expensive, but can do pretty much anything you need.
I'll usually use that one for surgical/corrective eq, and then maybe add an analog modeled one after it for some sheen and colour (API/Neve/SSL Style).

That's weird, I used it last night after I posted (I had forgotten to buy a couple things) and it worked. Either way, I like their stuff and it's reasonable IMO.

I'm wondering more about some of the higher-end stuff. @Dexter Inferno , are you willing to add more descriptions? $1,000 seems like an awful lot to me, but I am interested.

I'm wondering more about some of the higher-end stuff. @Dexter Inferno , are you willing to add more descriptions? $1,000 seems like an awful lot to me, but I am interested.

I don't really use a lot of high end plugins, but after trying a demo of the FabFilter eq I just had to get it - think it's about 179 bucks or thereabouts.
More than anything it has a great user interface, is super easy to work with and incredibly powerful.

Not a must have for everyone, but a great tool for those who want to get really serious about mixing.

Really love how you can solo each eq point, which makes it really easy to find resonant frequencies that you need to cut.
Add as many eq bands as you need, and you can turn each band into a dynamic eq really easily, great for deessing.
Basically, compressing at one specific frequency (quite similar to a multiband compressor). The TDR Nova can do that as well, but is much more limited.
You can also switch between normal left/right and mid/side mode per eq band which is fantastic for mastering.

Also a nifty new sidechain feature where you can see the curve from other tracks using the same plugin in the same window as the track you're working on. This really helps with minimizing buildup in certain frequency areas.

The thing I love most is I can do the same work with one plugin that I'd normally have to use 3 or 4 plugins.

Also recently started playing with the Slate/Eiosis AirEq, which I just got with the bundle from Slate.
Sounds great, but not sure I understand all of the features just yet. Quite resource hungry though, so I wouldn't use it much on individual tracks.
The Slate bundle in general is very very good though, but I know a few don't like the subscription/iLok thing.
The newly added API eq and Distressor emulation are both incredible.

The UAD stuff is supposed to be great as well, but can't see myself going there, as you have to buy hardware to access their plugins. And that hardware is ridiculously expensive. Fuck that shit.

Anyways, that's the stuff I can remember right now. :wink:

Thank you! I really appreciate the info.

Actually, the Waves thing I got last night was the F6 - I think it's a 'bargain' version of the FabFilter. Similar in that you can get surgical; I'll need to spend some time to see if it has the same functionality.

I got the $999 because I saw the hardware, not software price. Yipes!

I really like having the frequency profile superimposed on the EQ curve(s).

Back