Porsche 919 Le Mans race car destroys Nurburgring lap record

Tiltsta

Show me your frittatas
Staff member
Check out what a Le Mans prototype car can do when you turn everything up to 11. Lap record beaten by 53 seconds.

If you watch it full screen, you'll need a cigarette afterward.
giphy.gif

i'll watch it after work.

i do lubs me some Porsches.

interestingly tho, today's versions aren't that much faster than the old super cars. 1969 917's were getting upwards of 240 mph.

i'll watch it after work.

i do lubs me some Porsches.

interestingly tho, today's versions aren't that much faster than the old super cars. 1969 917's were getting upwards of 240 mph.
The corner speeds plus the massive acceleration of this car is very F1-like.

BMW engineers estimated their 2007 F1 car could do it in 5:15, based on some promotional event laps driven by Nick Heidfeld. The car wasn't run flat out, but the engineers had a good estimate of the potential of a clean lap from running a few parts of the track at full tilt. The 919 was only a little slower...like 4-5 seconds slower. No idea how a modern F1 car could do on the ring.

That was topping out at somewhere around 230 mph. I watched full screen with headphones cranked. Fuck.

Reactions: Tig
Oh, OK, sorry. You quoted B Valley saying he topped out at 230 and said he hit 369 on the final straight, which made it sound like you were saying, "What do you mean 230? He hit 369!"
no car (except at bonneville) goes 370 mph, just saying. [smiles]

Back