Playing live - eyeballing the fret hand

12Pack

Dyslexic b00n
It's been a few year since I've played out and I had my third gig last weekend (and another this Saturday). As I'm on stage I really try to make an effort to not have my eyeballs glued to my fret hand. I try to look up at other band members and the crowd and whatever. I find it harder then I remember.

Saw two pictures from last weeks (one in the newspaper) gigs and BOTH times I had my eyes looking at my fret hand like a damn rookie.

I think I'm going to practice blindfolded from now on :gah:

Turn the guitar 90 degrees. Rest the side of the guitar body on your belly. Now you can look around with the fretboard still in sight.

I mean instead of practicing. Who has got time for that crap.

Edit:
Similar to this but without the dorky look.

IMG_5018.JPG

Last edited:
Turn the guitar 90 degrees. Rest the side of the guitar body on your belly. Now you can look around with the fretboard still in sight.

I mean instead of practicing. Who has got time for that crap.

Edit:
Similar to this but without the dorky look.

View attachment 36388

Yeah, but if you do that you are required to do the duck walk. Slippery slope....

Better to check your hand every now and then, than to hit a Bb instead of an A. Funny thing is, I tend to look at either the bass players fretboard or the other guitar players more than mine when playing.

Practice playing the songs where you are singing and playing at the same time. It's not easy to stare at your fretboard and sing into a mic at the same time. When I play open mics, I never look at my hands because I am focused on singing and looking at the audience (or closing my eyes and praying for it to be over).

I close my eyes when recording...
Processing your eye input actually takes time and sometimes gets in the way..
For me anyhow.....

It might look like a rookie move ,but I look at the road when I drive.
idn_smilie

I practice not looking, I try to not look... but I tell you, when sliding from the 7th position down to G, then up to the 12th, back to 7th... while singing... shit. I have started doing things like raising the guitar up in a "rock and roll way" so I can check on my chord position without taking my eyes off the crowd. :tongue:

Back