Pics from last night's service.

Kerouac

weird musical dildo
One of the other line cooks came up with a special salad that chef put on the menu and he was cool with me doing my own plating. It's a Bacon and Beet Salad with red onion, candied walnuts, candied orange zest, and balsamic vinaigrette, topped with mixed greens and a touch more candied orange zest, resting on an apple butter swish.

14592066_722600677896212_7874380031030460416_n.jpg

We also had a late diner, and since my regular plating tools were in dish tank, I had to improvise...

15251674_1186672841387988_8411054916428103680_n.jpg

I'm still learning how to plate things in a clean and tight manner, but I really like how these turned out.

That's too fancifide fir me.
Looks great. How are you liking the job so far?

That's too fancifide fir me.
Looks great. How are you liking the job so far?

I really like the work I do, but I really hate how my body feels when I get home from a ten hour shift... office chair for almost a decade made me soft.

Reactions: DFB
I stand in one spot for a 10 hour shift.
The body hates it.

Yeah, that's a killer. I at least get to move around and float at different stations. Doing a big thing of prep work and not moving for an hour sucks badly enough... ten hours in place would be brutal.

I've never had a meal in a restaurant that serves food like that...one day I would like to, but the occasion needs to be worth it...

Beautiful work K...I hope it tasted as good as it looked...

I've never had a meal in a restaurant that serves food like that...one day I would like to, but the occasion needs to be worth it...

Beautiful work K...I hope it tasted as good as it looked...

Our prices are very reasonable. A lot of our entries are priced at or below the more expensive menu items on a Cheesecake Factory menu, but instead of a massive quantity of so-so food, our dishes simplify and deliver on quality. Entrees and salads for two is around $40-60 (depending on the entrees), which IMO is very reasonable. Of course, drinks/apps, desserts will rapidly move your ticket price up...

Our prices are very reasonable. A lot of our entries are priced at or below the more expensive menu items on a Cheesecake Factory menu, but instead of a massive quantity of so-so food, our dishes simplify and deliver on quality. Entrees and salads for two is around $40-60 (depending on the entrees), which IMO is very reasonable. Of course, drinks/apps, desserts will rapidly move your ticket price up...
Yeah, when Mrs. Gtr and I go out to eat we typically spend around $50-$60. So yeah if your restaurants prices are there that's seems to be the going rate.

Yeah, when Mrs. Gtr and I go out to eat we typically spend around $50-$60. So yeah if your restaurants prices are there that's seems to be the going rate.

Yeah. When Ashlee and I go somewhere like Texas Roadhouse, we're normally in $30-40, including tip. Our most popular dish + pricing breaks down as:

Chopped Salad, split for two= $11/10 (Full/member pricing)
Atlantic Salmon = $20/18
Steak Frites (Ribeye) = $28/26

A lot of people will add Salmon to their Salad ($6 add-on) and then split it along with an entree, which is a really great value and leaves room for either an appetizer, a desert, or a round of drinks. We have a lot of customers that are members and eat there multiple times a week - generally business folks and wealthy retirees - so with membership they get reduced menu prices, as well as reduced prices on drinks and preferred seating, as well as invitations to special events (like our Lobster event on Thursday.) We have a market special seafood, meat, and flatbread that we run for 7-10 days, and that's where members really get the best bang for their buck. It's certainly not an inexpensive meal, but I've spent more on crappier food too many times to recall. The majority of our full size entrees start at $17, including upscale versions of ale-battered fish and chips and hearthside meatloaf.

When I worked in the restaurant biz, presentation was everything. We used to do a simple clam chowder bowl. Chowder went into an oversized off white coffee cup. The garnish? A single pat of butter in the center slightly melted, with a small bit of fine chopped chives in the center of that. The idea was that the butter would be completely melted by the time it hit the table. The diner would get the full aroma of the dish, then mix the garnish into the chowder when they started eating it.

We did something interesting with a baked potato so it didn't look so plain. We made a sour cream 'dip' with wasabi, shallot juice, and bacon fat. It all went into a piping bag, then squeezed out on top of the potato. On top of that went a chive sprig for garnish. Customers could get more of the dip if they asked for it.

We also did something called a porkloin pour over. It was like an open faced sandwich. We slow baked one of those big 8-10 lb pork loins and then shave cut the cooked meat onto a grilled onion roll. Over the meat went a slaw of shredded carrots, vidalia onions and tart apples. The slaw was only slightly cooked in a mix of butter and apple cider. We sent that to the table with a 'pour over gravy', this stuff had bourbon, maple syrup, pan drippings from the pork loin and some cayenne pepper for heat. It also came with coffee beans in a pepper mill that diners would grind on. They expected black pepper, but this was loads different flavorwise. The coffee bean mellowed out the heat from the cayenne, the maple & bourbon was the base. The gravy would drip through the slaw and meat picking up flavor along the way. What was great about it was that the diner was ready for that soaked piece of roll at the bottom of the dish, it had flavor from everything on the plate.

Our prices were reasonable for the time, apps were between 4-10 dollars, but we did have a raw bar that was a big hit. Entrees were typically from 5-30 bucks. Desserts were brought in from a bakery only at the end of the block. The bakery made these mini cheesecake sets that would send your tastebuds into orbit. For the bakery, they used just the normal toppings, but we married the cakes with all manner of fruits & booze. The cheesecake sampler at 9 bucks would sell out most nights, and more than a few repeat diners were pissed that they didn't get any. We averaged probably 100 tickets for lunch, and 150-200 for dinner service.

When I worked in the restaurant biz, presentation was everything. We used to do a simple clam chowder bowl. Chowder went into an oversized off white coffee cup. The garnish? A single pat of butter in the center slightly melted, with a small bit of fine chopped chives in the center of that. The idea was that the butter would be completely melted by the time it hit the table. The diner would get the full aroma of the dish, then mix the garnish into the chowder when they started eating it.

We did something interesting with a baked potato so it didn't look so plain. We made a sour cream 'dip' with wasabi, shallot juice, and bacon fat. It all went into a piping bag, then squeezed out on top of the potato. On top of that went a chive sprig for garnish. Customers could get more of the dip if they asked for it.

We also did something called a porkloin pour over. It was like an open faced sandwich. We slow baked one of those big 8-10 lb pork loins and then shave cut the cooked meat onto a grilled onion roll. Over the meat went a slaw of shredded carrots, vidalia onions and tart apples. The slaw was only slightly cooked in a mix of butter and apple cider. We sent that to the table with a 'pour over gravy', this stuff had bourbon, maple syrup, pan drippings from the pork loin and some cayenne pepper for heat. It also came with coffee beans in a pepper mill that diners would grind on. They expected black pepper, but this was loads different flavorwise. The coffee bean mellowed out the heat from the cayenne, the maple & bourbon was the base. The gravy would drip through the slaw and meat picking up flavor along the way. What was great about it was that the diner was ready for that soaked piece of roll at the bottom of the dish, it had flavor from everything on the plate.

Our prices were reasonable for the time, apps were between 4-10 dollars, but we did have a raw bar that was a big hit. Entrees were typically from 5-30 bucks. Desserts were brought in from a bakery only at the end of the block. The bakery made these mini cheesecake sets that would send your tastebuds into orbit. For the bakery, they used just the normal toppings, but we married the cakes with all manner of fruits & booze. The cheesecake sampler at 9 bucks would sell out most nights, and more than a few repeat diners were pissed that they didn't get any. We averaged probably 100 tickets for lunch, and 150-200 for dinner service.

We do pour over sauces on a lot of our entrees... the servers hate it. :grin:

That coffee bean idea though is brilliant!

Back