NPD! Mojo Hand Colossus

Ignored Member

Neutered male
Sick hairy fun

photo (54).JPG

Impressions:

My favorite position on the toggle so far is up -- the treble-emphasis mode. The bottom bass-emphasis mode is next. The middle mid-emphasis mode seems to voice the pedal more closely to a distortion than a fuzz. That might be useful in a lot of setups but it's not the sound I want from a fuzz.

I can't tell that the mids control does much. Maybe mine is broken. Maybe my amp is already too mid-heavy and it doesn't matter. Maybe I'm not cranking my rig loud enough to notice it. Maybe my ears suck. I'm not super-concerned unless it's supposed to be dramatic and mine is actually broken. It sounds good as it is.

The clip doesn't highlight the real thickness of the sound (it was mic'd straight on the voice coil). It's wooly big muff but without the quirkiness. It does nasty spitting guitar and thick synth-like leads without changing settings on the pedal.

It responds to different attacks. I use a compressor a lot with distortion to get more sensitivity without overdoing the gain. That works with the Colossus but I think I like it better with the gain higher and the compressor off. When the compressor is off, the pedal reacts to dynamics and it's easier to do talking guitar.

It positively wants to be turned up and let loose. The lower-gain sounds are cool but it seems to hit it's stride with the gain up, playing with a lot dynamics, and really using the guitar's volume and tone.

There is a ton of output boost on tap if that's what you want. Unity level with my clean sound is at about 9:embarrassed:0. I think you could blast the front-end of an amp easily.

Regarding the mids knob, it's a delicate balance. It gets much better at high volume. But you'll want more mids on your amp too. Remember, the Muff is a totally mid sucking sound. The mids knob can add stuff back but it can never completely compensate.

Regarding the mids knob, it's a delicate balance. It gets much better at high volume. But you'll want more mids on your amp too. Remember, the Muff is a totally mid sucking sound. The mids knob can add stuff back but it can never completely compensate.

Thanks. That's what I suspected. It seems to affect lower-midrange but I can't rule out it just being my imagination.

My clean sound is already kind of nasal and mid-heavy -- almost the opposite of sparkly twin reverb and jc120 sounds. I keep trying to make my Rat work with my setup because it's such a badass sound but it's just too much midrange. The Russian muff seems to do better but it's too big, too bassy, and the component quality sucks. The Colossus fixes everything I don't like about the Russian muff (at over twice the price, unfortunately).

Back