Now that we're into a couple weeks of Corvfefe what have you been creating in the kitchen?

Turns out all my soup needed was a day for everything to meld together, just having some for lunch and it's absolutely delicious :grin:
That's the way. My beef stew I made the other night was good but lunch the next day was fantastic.

That's the way. My beef stew I made the other night was good but lunch the next day was fantastic.

It was good yesterday but you know you get a dish and think it just needs a little something extra, today it was like a different soup. Obviously the acid and salt (and a dash of msg!) had time to bed in.

I was treated to some proper (meaning squirrel, not chicken or pork) brunswick stew last night and it was good enough that it's got me pricing .22 rifles..

I'd like to try making a squirrel bolognese

Last edited:
I was treated to some proper (meaning squirrel, not chicken or pork) brunswick stew last night and it was good enough that it's got me pricing .22 rifles..

I'd like to try making a squirrel bolognese

Everyone I know that cooks them only uses the hind quarters and saddle so it's often not a lot of meat per squirrel and you have to bad a good number for a big meal. It's probably easier to pay someone who already hunts them to bag you some. 10/22 or savage mk II, otherwise.

Everyone I know that cooks them only uses the hind quarters and saddle so it's often not a lot of meat per squirrel and you have to bad a good number for a big meal. It's probably easier to pay someone who already hunts them to bag you some. 10/22 or savage mk II, otherwise.
Yarr, part of me being treated to the stew was also being taken out to the woods by a coworker and introduced to stalking tree rats. we used the legs, shoulders, and back (5 pieces per squirrel), and it wasn't a huge amount of meat but as someone who generally likes plenty-o-starch and a smaller to moderate amount of meat in a meal, something like 1.5 squirrels would make for a good meal for me.

It would definitely be much easier and much efficient to pay someone, but I enjoyed the hunting as well. We used my coworkers guns, and he prefers to used a scoped, suppressed 22 and try to only take headshots, both to be more humane to the critters, and to make it more fun for him. I think the suppressors were a big part of what made it fun - they made it BB gun quiet, so it was mostly just a nice slow mindful sort of time in the woods, and a meal at the end was more icing on the cake than the goal. I think a shotgun and birdshot would be more effective/efficient if that was the parameter to optimize (although then you'd have to deal with digging out pellets from the meat).

Not sure I'll be going down the rabbit hole of of getting a suppressor any time soon, but I can definitely see why they're a thing, at least for something small like a 22

Yarr, part of me being treated to the stew was also being taken out to the woods by a coworker and introduced to stalking tree rats. we used the legs, shoulders, and back (5 pieces per squirrel), and it wasn't a huge amount of meat but as someone who generally likes plenty-o-starch and a smaller to moderate amount of meat in a meal, something like 1.5 squirrels would make for a good meal for me.

It would definitely be much easier and much efficient to pay someone, but I enjoyed the hunting as well. We used my coworkers guns, and he prefers to used a scoped, suppressed 22 and try to only take headshots, both to be more humane to the critters, and to make it more fun for him. I think the suppressors were a big part of what made it fun - they made it BB gun quiet, so it was mostly just a nice slow mindful sort of time in the woods, and a meal at the end was more icing on the cake than the goal. I think a shotgun and birdshot would be more effective/efficient if that was the parameter to optimize (although then you'd have to deal with digging out pellets from the meat).

Not sure I'll be going down the rabbit hole of of getting a suppressor any time soon, but I can definitely see why they're a thing, at least for something small like a 22

Yeah, you don't lose any meat w/ a .22 and correctly placed shot plus it's instant. Edit: Personally, I think that if you're eating meat, being part of the process beyond just being a consumer gives you more respect for the animal. I haven't hunted for ages but I will never look at meat on my plate the same way since.

Last edited:
Yeah, you don't lose any meat w/ a .22 and correctly placed shot plus it's instant. Edit: Personally, I think that if you're eating meat, being part of the process beyond just being a consumer gives you more respect for the animal. I haven't hunted for ages but I will never look at meat on my plate the same way since.
Agreed, and I particularly like the idea of little ubiquitous critters like squirrels. Very sustainable.

It's my birthday tomorrow and I'll be out for the football so went for it tonight. Sous vide rump and sirloin, parmesan sweet potato stacks, pickled red onion and red wine jus. Steaks were huge and for the first time in years Mrs JBJ demolished hers, I've got a tiny bit left for Lola tomorrow.

It looks like I've edited or filtered the photos but they're genuinely taken on my steam powered phone with no tweaking at all.

IMG_20221108_200618531_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221108_202218823_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221108_202232473.jpg

IMG_20221108_203804156.jpg

true - I guess I can cross that bridge when I come to it if squirrels takes off like passenger pigeons did, and move back to Chicago and go after the rats.
All the sustainability people these days are taking about eating jelly fish.

Bengali Curried Mahi with homemade Naan
The sauce for the fish was onion, garlic, ginger, tomato, vegetable broth, coriander, cumin, turmeric, cayenne, salt. That's what the recipe called for. I also added 3 green cardamom pods and a bay leaf. Vegetables were processed into a paste and fried. Seasonings added and cooked down.
Fish marinated in olive oil, dijon mustard and a ton of fresh cracked black pepper then put in a baking dish, sauce on top and baked for about 35 minutes.
I didn't do rice with it because it was getting late and I was dealing with children alone. Turned out really delicious and spicy. I just put it on the naan and ate it that way.
Bengali Fish.jpg

I’m not driving back to Houston today like a normal Sunday, so I have a rack of ribs smokin away. Will serve with macaroni salad and wild rice. Both sides featuring roasted poblano peppers.

67078A39-342F-4DD1-A6DC-F5E8A15604DE.jpeg

Last edited:
I did a ham and navy bean soup with Thanksgiving leftovers but forgot to snap a pic. It was damn good.

Back