Dig it! Not a new guitar day.

BlackCat

American Greaser
I love my old Guild but let's face it it was a struggle to keep in tune and the Bigsby was virtually unusable. I undertook a project to get it to be a dependable player and to a large degree I succeeded.

I've heard over and over that tuning problems are usually not the fault of the machines but in this case the old Grovers were plum wore out. Luckily new Grover 18:1 fit in the same holes with no drilling required. I probably could have cleaned up the fixed compensated bridge but I've heard great things about the Compton and I wanted to try one. I wasn't disappointed. It's a great piece of kit.
I tried a few different springs on the Bigsby and finally settled on the Reverend soft spring. It's smooth! I did a bit of light sanding on the nut and generally tightened and cleaned up the whole guitar.
It now stays in tune for a whole set and I can use the Bigsby to my hearts content.

Cf2aUgVbNRJTeXueCExZSg5JwtP_xdn3tT_L-YHd2to=w582-h775-no

zhNggCTxKXgF6w2Z6EyJ368B73j6PM83QRV3WxN_eXU=w1034-h775-no

ndmgM8DBYg1ff6C2OjjCPVl6oD_pCCeCiy_jVtXez6Y=w1034-h775-no

wZpWVb2rlPcCGy_w_LqYrt4kSWkMH6tNO5q2TPKnd4k=w1215-h685-no

tjG2WJIKK_piz813SyeaN7kIKd-9y4pkn8dcnk-Evn4=w582-h775-no

Last edited:
Awesome. Bigsby are great and with a proper setup, they will stay in tune just fine.

:thu:

As a fellow Starfire III owner, I am interested in the Compton bridge. I don't have tuning issues with my Starfire, but I have thought about replacing the bridge. Did you take all the measurements on your guitar and send to Compton or did you have a pro guitar tech figure out all the right measurements?

:thu:

As a fellow Starfire III owner, I am interested in the Compton bridge. I don't have tuning issues with my Starfire, but I have thought about replacing the bridge. Did you take all the measurements on your guitar and send to Compton or did you have a pro guitar tech figure out all the right measurements?

I took the measurements myself. The stud spacing on the legacy bridge didn't match what Compton offers so I had to order a new base as well.

Back