NGD - The Schecter Jazz 7 Has Arrived!!

ellengtrgrl

Guitar Old Timer
I mentioned in a recent thread (Post the guitars you have always lusted after, but have never(or will ever) own...), that I recently managed to get my hands one of the 7-string world's white whales (less than 100 were made) - a Schecter Jazz 7 (bought on Reverb.com last week). Well, it arrived at work (where I try to have all of my personal shipments sent to) today! Here it is, at my desk:

NGD-August212013atwork_zpsc181ccef.jpg

First impressions - like my old Schecter Omen Extreme 7, it has a pretty chunky neck (which is fine with me - I'm not a big fan of super thin, Ibanez Wizard-type necks), with 22 frets. I've only had time to play it unplugged at work, during a break this afternoon (I got home late, and as a result, I'm getting ready for bed pretty soon). The strings will have to go! It has flatwounds on it, and while more there are a few MWGLers that like their flatwound strings, I'm not one of them. I typically make up a custom 7-string set, with an 11 gauge 6-string set (with a wound 3rd string), and a .060 (or slightly larger) 7th string. Luckily I found what I needed locally, so I don't have to wait for a special order from Just Strings to arrive, before I can re-string the guitar (I really don't want to put on the 10 gauge 7-string set, that I have laying around here). I'll see if I can get the Jazz 7 re-strung and roughly set up tomorrow.

BTW, the guitar came in a nice hardshell case, that had a funky looking license plate style, name plate.

CaseWithLicensePlateLogo_zps4572f75c.jpg

#schecter #jazz7

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks people! :)

Nice! I didn't know they built anything like that...

Yup, Schecter made less than 100 of them. Schecter lists the Jazz 7, as being available in 2001, and 2002, bur I can't find any indication that they sold it in 2002. It only shows in their 2001 catalog, and their 2001 price list.

Nice! I didn't know they built anything like that...

Prior to Ellen saying she was getting one, I didn't know that a Jazz box could come in a 7-string. I've never tried out a 7-string, so it might be interesting to try one out some day.

Nice looking guitar Ellen.

Thanks again people! :)

7-string jazz players have been around for decades (at least since George Van Epps had Epiphone make him a 7-string back in 1938). Some of the more notable players nowadays are John Pizzarelli, Bucky Pizzarelli (John's father), and Ron Eschete. Don't forger that Charlie Hunter played an 8-string for years.

F.Y.I. - if you have a craving for 7-string hollowbodies/jazz boxes, Ibanez released one several weeks ago. It's called the Ibanez Artcore Expressionist AFJ957, and goes for around $800.

DV016_Jpg_Large_1352132364092_A.jpg

If you want a longer scale guitar (27" vs the Ibanez' 24.6" scale Length), balsa wood and spit has just released a new Agile 7-string semi-hollow as a semi-custom guitar, called the As-1000.

as1000727tbk1.jpg

Back