NGD (Reverend)

They're just really good guitars; good looking without too much pretense, original, and just very playable. Funny, as I was surfing, I looked down and realized I was noodling on my Manta Ray 290 ... LOL.

It really makes you wonder - if they can get everything so 'right' for such reasonable prices, why can't others?

Reactions: Tig
I gigged with the Rev this past weekend. I can't believe it's Korean made. Truly a fine guitar. Especially for both kinds of music. Country and Western. Blues too. Like a Tele only different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are some fantastic MIK / MIC guitars. The problem is that those that are sold to us are frequently outsourced there because mfrs. want to skimp - so it's like we're guaranteed to get their worst work.

I have a Reverend bass that's solid as a rock, also MIK. The contour on that, coupled with the P/J-ish pup configuration gives an insane variety of sounds. And the neck ... so solid and so resonant.

I also have a MIK Epi Sheraton that is a truly gorgeous guitar. An older MIK PRS Santana SE (by ye olde World Music of Seoul, according to the headstock) is also on a par with US guitars, albeit a simple layout. Then I see stuff like MIK Fender thinline teles that are supposedly 'high quality' (at least their price point suggests it) and ... blech.

Long live the Rev. The few that I've held have all had that "whole instrument is alive" feeling, to say nothing of their real nice electronics and good looks.

Manta Ray:

Manta Ray 3.jpg

Decision Bass:

P1030219.JPG

It is a Les Trem. I'm not a trem guy (and have many Fenders lying around w/out their arms affirming this) but I like this one -- has more feel than a Bigsby.

Are you asking how the Manta Ray sounds? It's a bright, chewy sort of sound - I look at it as a take on a Ric, and there's a lot of that type of sound to it. The P-90's on it are simply magnificent in their voicing and sensitivity. So not as richly dark as say a 335, but a lot of exquisite midrange. The bass filter really lends tremendous flexibility, too.

It looks gorgeous, too - there's gold flake in the seafoam green (the little teensy metallic bits, is there a name for them other than flake? - more like 'gold dust') that I didn't photo well at all.

I mentioned it above and it's worth repeating: I think I've handled 15-20 Reverends, and am always struck by the overall feel. It seems like my hands are working more in partnership - does that sound dumb? I've had that experience some other nice guitars (particularly with nicer Strats), but it's really noticeable to me how the Reverends just seem more 'alive,' regardless of American or Korean. The one time I called them regarding the bass, they could not have been nicer about calling back and shipping me some stuff the same day. Great company, awesome guitars.

It is a Les Trem. I'm not a trem guy (and have many Fenders lying around w/out their arms affirming this) but I like this one -- has more feel than a Bigsby.

Are you asking how the Manta Ray sounds? It's a bright, chewy sort of sound - I look at it as a take on a Ric, and there's a lot of that type of sound to it. The P-90's on it are simply magnificent in their voicing and sensitivity. So not as richly dark as say a 335, but a lot of exquisite midrange. The bass filter really lends tremendous flexibility, too.

It looks gorgeous, too - there's gold flake in the seafoam green (the little teensy metallic bits, is there a name for them other than flake? - more like 'gold dust') that I didn't photo well at all.

I mentioned it above and it's worth repeating: I think I've handled 15-20 Reverends, and am always struck by the overall feel. It seems like my hands are working more in partnership - does that sound dumb? I've had that experience some other nice guitars (particularly with nicer Strats), but it's really noticeable to me how the Reverends just seem more 'alive,' regardless of American or Korean. The one time I called them regarding the bass, they could not have been nicer about calling back and shipping me some stuff the same day. Great company, awesome guitars.
Thanks. Yes, the feel of mine is fantastic. I was thinking of putting a Vibo-Mate and a B5 on mine but I'll check into a Les-Trem.

Thanks. Yes, the feel of mine is fantastic. I was thinking of putting a Vibo-Mate and a B5 on mine but I'll check into a Les-Trem.

It's funny, but have you ever noticed how it seems ALL guitar-nerd/snobs agree that Reverends are terrific? I know a bunch of "late 50's/early 60's vintage guitars through Hi-Watts only" types, to hired-gun pros who endlessly work as anonymous touring types, to hipsters utterly imprisoned by their fealty to trends ....

And they all really, really like Reverends.

Hmmm.

FWIW, the range of the Les Trem is nowhere near as dive-bomby as other options (and I think that's part of why I like it). Maybe two steps before it touches the body on mine. As I prefer that, I haven't attempted to see if I could change that, but just know that before you perhaps spend time and effort.

It's funny, but have you ever noticed how it seems ALL guitar-nerd/snobs agree that Reverends are terrific? I know a bunch of "late 50's/early 60's vintage guitars through Hi-Watts only" types, to hired-gun pros who endlessly work as anonymous touring types, to hipsters utterly imprisoned by their fealty to trends ....

And they all really, really like Reverends.

Hmmm.
Hmmm indeed. I guess they must know something.

FWIW, the range of the Les Trem is nowhere near as dive-bomby as other options (and I think that's part of why I like it). Maybe two steps before it touches the body on mine. As I prefer that, I haven't attempted to see if I could change that, but just know that before you perhaps spend time and effort.
I'm a Bigsby fan. I just use Trem for a shimmer as a rule. Elderly has the Les Trem listed at a reasonable price but they are back ordered. I might try a VibroMate.

Last edited:
There was a used Reverend Reeves Gabrels model at the local Guitar Center about a year ago that had the Les Trem.

Surprisingly it returned to pitch really well. I'd never seen one before that I know of.

Tell me when to shut up about Reverends, please? So the 'return to pitch,' - everything on both the guitar and bass simply work the way they should. Even though the Manta Ray was purchased used ($350 with hard case - boy I got lucky) and the bass had hung on the wall a while, I've never had a single thing be 'off.' No crackles from pots, no annoying little noises, no failure to respond as-expected during a set up procedure (I can be anal about set ups). Pickups don't make you wonder "should I try something else?" Bass sweep-filter thingie actually is usable at most of the positions. It's just ridiculous.

There's a shit ton of things that define a 'good guitar' but front-to-back solidness means a lot. My Korean Revs are on a level of QC (QC - not necessarily materials) of high end Gibsons, Fender Custom shop, Nash, high end PRS, etc.

Back