Need help

Packerbacker

Grandpa Whine
Ive been doing some research on some pedals that I want when I get some money. I like quality stuff-MXR,Wampler,etc. I always buy quality in everything. Im a tradesman and have always made a living with my tools. I don't beleive in "cheap or budget" tools. I do my research or ask opinions of qualified people and make choices. Here's the dilemma: yesterday my wife sees her friends husbands post on Facebook. He bought a Joyo pedal which is a clone of ?? For $35.00. Says it is the best $35 he's spent musically. Here's the kicker-this guy researches EVERYTHING-a new stove,a car,a pair of socks,etc before buying. He's loaded with cash. My wife then says-how come $35 pedals are good enough for Andy but not you? First it was kind of in fun but it's been brought up a few times now and it's getting edgier,almost like I'm a selfish prick now. Granted I'm a play at home guy and do not begrudge those who go cheaper. But I want what I like and won't be happy to "settle". Anyone else had these battles with the S/O? Sorry for the rant!!

Luckily for me, my father in law is a gigging jazz saxophonist. So my wife grew up with a semi-pro musician in the house, plus both her brothers play guitar and her one brother (who I was in a band with for a while) is probably the most natural guitar player I have ever had the fortune to play with. He is a pedal junkie.

If you want, I can mail you the joyo delay I bought a year or so ago. It only makes a high pitched squeal now, no delay at all. I probably have less than an hour of actual play on it as well. Just use the line "you get what you pay for" and try to bring up an example where you guys went cheap on something only for it to blow up in your face.

You've got it made Chad! Normally she is totally on board with my purchases. When I needed new pipe wrenches-I bought Ridgid for 60-100 bucks each versus Harbor Freight for 6 bucks each. or buying a Fluke VOM versus a Radio Shack el cheapo. But when her buddies hubby did this something changed. She said I'm not a pro player why do I need the good stuff?? I always let her buy expensive purses that last a lifetime versus ones that wear out instantly. It's the way I'm wired. I guess this just pissed me off. Not like I'm taking food off of the table.

The Joyo stuff is cheapie made in china knock offs of more popular pedals for the most part. Some folks say that they sound pretty good but I wouldn't bother with them.

You've got it made Chad! Normally she is totally on board with my purchases. When I needed new pipe wrenches-I bought Ridgid for 60-100 bucks each versus Harbor Freight for 6 bucks each. or buying a Fluke VOM versus a Radio Shack el cheapo. But when her buddies hubby did this something changed. She said I'm not a pro player why do I need the good stuff?? I always let her buy expensive purses that last a lifetime versus ones that wear out instantly. It's the way I'm wired. I guess this just pissed me off. Not like I'm taking food off of the table.

My response would be: "It's cheaper than golf!" :)

There are several tiers of pedals. At least 3 (cheap, good, boutique)... I have pedals from each group, but mostly from the latter two. I rarely buy the cheap stuff these days. Notable expection: Visual Sound Garage Tone series. I've got their delay and I think it sounds fantastic. I would say the same of most EHX pedals, to include the Nano series.

MXR is squarely in the good range, IMO, and I have several of their pedals, to include the Carbon Copy, the Chorus, Noise Gate, and EQ. All work well, are very rugged, and do their job properly.

I've also forked over for the good stuff (ZVex, Wren and Cuff, Mad Professor, Earthquaker, Fairfield, Strymon). These are all ridiculously nice pedals, and I don't regret buying any of them. They might be a bit of a luxury (the hand-painted Zvex as well as the Fairfield come to mind), but should last the rest of my lifetime with minimal fuss. And then there are pedals like the Strymon and the Afterneath that are just the best I've ever heard, so I'm willing to pay for that level of quality.

As for as the Mrs., I pretty much lost that battle a long time ago. For me, that means that when I want to buy, I have to sell. We spend all of "our" money on her hobby, which is horses, and for some reason that's totally OK. Fortunately for me, when we started our relationship I had around 30 guitars. :) I now have less than 10 guitars, and a kick ass amp and pedal collection. :grin:

Last edited:
I am thankful that my wife leaves me alone with this stuff. She knows that if I want something, I will go and get it.

What I don't care for is a company saying that it sounds just like "____". If I wanted that sound, I would buy the original or build a clone. Not some knockoff that claims to sound like it but much cheaper.

I have played through a friends GFS and Joyo gear. Sorry it does not work for me.

This sounds similar to cable threads for me.

I am thankful that my wife leaves me alone with this stuff. She knows that if I want something, I will go and get it.

What I don't care for is a company saying that it sounds just like "____". If I wanted that sound, I would buy the original or build a clone. Not some knockoff that claims to sound like it but much cheaper.

I have played through a friends GFS and Joyo gear. Sorry it does not work for me.

yeah, I've played the GFS pedals and thought they were fine. When they came out, I purchased the tuner, the Brownie, and the Fat Tube. All worked well enough, and the distortion pedals sounded good to me. I have no idea if they would withstand hours and hours of use, as I upgraded pretty quickly and don't have that much time on them. I gave the Brownie to a buddy of mine that has a wife who doesn't let him buy anything, even though he makes more than me (I've also let him borrow the tuner and my VT20+ indefinitely...), and haven't heard anything negative. But yeah, these wouldn't be my first choice. Also, the old ones like I bought take up a ton of space if you're looking at a smaller board.

yeah, I've played the GFS pedals and thought they were fine. When they came out, I purchased the tuner, the Brownie, and the Fat Tube. All worked well enough, and the distortion pedals sounded good to me. I have no idea if they would withstand hours and hours of use, as I upgraded pretty quickly and don't have that much time on them. I gave the Brownie to a buddy of mine that has a wife who doesn't let him buy anything, even though he makes more than me (I've also let him borrow the tuner and my VT20+ indefinitely...), and haven't heard anything negative. But yeah, these wouldn't be my first choice. Also, the old ones like I bought take up a ton of space if you're looking at a smaller board.

Mojo to your friend. I am lucky with my wife because I was making a living when we dated and I don't go crazy buying out things left and right. While I do share a lot of the good things I buy and own, everything is bought over time rather than bulk purchase or I need to have it because it is the latest thing. I am just a no compromise on quality person I guess.... :)

I agree. Give me the original. There's a reason it is copied-it's good!!

We might have a discussion about what something new does, or why I need it. But as for cost, she knows I'm the guy who is researching everything and getting exactly what I want. I also buy a significant amount of gear used. So that helps to keep the cost down.

We might have a discussion about what something new does, or why I need it. But as for cost, she knows I'm the guy who is researching everything and getting exactly what I want. I also buy a significant amount of gear used. So that helps to keep the cost down.
And, to be honest, you have your GAS under control and really don't buy a lot of gear...

OH YEAH! (duh) Forgot about that...:embarrassed:

It should be noted that I have sold an equal dollar amount of gear to make up for that purchase. Including selling a Fender Jaguar inside of three hours. So I'm actually somewhere around net-zero for the year. But still, there's been a lot of buying.

It should be noted that I have sold an equal dollar amount of gear to make up for that purchase. Including selling a Fender Jaguar inside of three hours. So I'm actually somewhere around net-zero for the year. But still, there's been a lot of buying.
Noted...

Back