NCD !!!

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
My 2014 Chevy Cruze was starting to poop the bed. Was a great, reliable car for 135,000 miles, then all of a sudden it wasn't. And expensive sudden and not looking to get better unless a lot of $ was thrown at it.

Kinda wanted a new small car, but couldn't find any in my area that were close to what I wanted.

Ended up with a slightly used 2022 Toyota Corolla Apex... a special edition Corolla.

My only concern is how it will handle in snow, as it comes with low profile tires, I believe 255/40 18". I suppose there are snow tires for it somewhere. If I end up not liking it for winter, it should hold its value well, I could trade it in on something else.

If it has cool sport rims, your best option is to get an inexpensive set of rims and put snow tires on there, and leave summer tires on the factory rims. (or vice versa I've put winter tires on the factory rims and put wider summer tires on custom rims).

The second best option is a good set of Michelin M+S rated tires.

On the plus side, we've fucked the atmosphere so much that we only get a couple weeks of snow in the winter now.

HNCD!

Another vote for a second set of rims with snows.
Get steel rims for winter. Alloys can “shrink” in extreme cold and you can find all of your tires needing air. Not flat, but low on pressure.
It’s a pain.

I have a wheel/tire question.

If I wanted to put tires on with a bigger sidewall than the 40s, is there a way to do it without re calibrating the speedometer, etc? Like a smaller wheel (say, a 17") but bigger sidewall?

I have a wheel/tire question.

If I wanted to put tires on with a bigger sidewall than the 40s, is there a way to do it without re calibrating the speedometer, etc? Like a smaller wheel (say, a 17") but bigger sidewall?

Tire Rack has a tool online so you can see how to +1 or +2 your tire and rim size without it messing up your spedometer.

But honestly if you’re trying to add some sidewall for comfort, you can oversize the tire on the same size rim and since that size is distributed on inside, width, and outside the discrepancy is negligible. Like last vehicle I did that to when comparing the GPS to indicated speed was 1mph at 70.

Last edited:
Tire Rack has a tool online so you can see how to +1 or +2 your tire and rim size without it messing up your spedometer.

But honestly if you’re trying to add some sidewall for comfort, you can oversize the tire on the same size rim and since that size is distributed on inside, width, and outside the discrepancy is negligible. Like last vehicle I did that to when comparing the GPS to indicated speed was 1mph at 70.
I went to Tire Rack and couldn't find it. I would assume places like Discount Tire, or Belle Tire could answer that too?

And yeah, my new-ish Corolla does have a somewhat harsh ride. I was thinking maybe 17" wheels with 45's would be close to 18's with 40 like what the Apex Corolla has? Or would that be vastly different?

Back