National Hockey League 2018-2019

What a load of crap. That was clearly a high stick on that goal, then they let play continue with the net off the mooring until Kane scores, then call it back. Horrible officiating in what was otherwise a great game.

Tee fucking hee.

Not only the goal that should have been waived off, but Rask purposely kicked the goal off the posts twice and Boston were not penalized in either case. I've noticed that this season is worse than usual as regards NHL referees' preference for "original 6" and Canadian teams. The Bruins were gifted this game by the zebras.
 
That's right, the Bruins were gifted the game.

If you're going to focus on calls, you need to focus on all of them. Otherwise you're whining and making excuses, which is what losers do.

Guess we don't talk about that 'delay of game' call, or the incredible gift penalty shot? If this is what you think hockey's about (whining and making excuses) then you're going to be whimpering and whining all the way to the predictable playoff series loss.
 
Kane's 'net off the moorings' incident which F'd him out of a decent scoring opportunity was just karma for doing pushups in Vegas with stacks of cash on his back. F him. I will like San Jose again after they dump Kane and EK.

Oh...and GO OVECHKIN!!! Over 40 goals already. What a badass scoring machine. One of the sportscasters said that 21 of his goals so far came from that left circle.
 
Oh...and GO OVECHKIN!!! Over 40 goals already. What a badass scoring machine. One of the sportscasters said that 21 of his goals so far came from that left circle.

I don't know why teams don't cheat more to him on the left circle. One of the announcers yesterday said "well you can't cheat because Carlson has a good shot" Carlson doesn't have 40+ goals. I'd be willing to take my chances with him rather than Ove. You know it coming the opponent knows it coming and still he scores.

As far as the Bruins Sharks game goes. It was good game but not a few not good (no) calls at the end tainted it. I don't understand why they did not review the tying goal. Is highsticking not reviewable when it leads to a goal but goaltender interference is :shrug:

On the Kane "goal" while I don't understand why the play was not blown dead earlier, I'm pretty sure I heard a whistle before he shot it so Rask might have let up too.
 
Memo to casual hockey fans: the Bruins are widely considered to be the Raiders of the NHL in terms of never getting the benefit of officiating. Ever. Also, it's really not a good look to insist on focusing on one call, and not the others. That "delay of game" penalty was egregious. And the penalty shot ... well, enjoy your home ice advantage, San Jose.

Either way, any hockey team worth two shits may bitch about calls, but doesn't blame the refs. Ever. If you are one officiating mistake from losing, then you're a loser, sorry.

The indicative play was actually the game-winner. Bruins won the puck battle; out-hustled down-ice; Sharks avoided bodying up even though on a wing rush it would've been the right play; good passing; puck in net.

The Bruins have their issues, but the kids are coming along nicely. The Sharks are good; there's no team dominating, so there are many who could come out of the West, including them.

I did not agree with the narrative being sold on nhl.com that the game was terrific. Never saw so many weird bounces - San Jose has to have a shitty ice surface. It was just odd, and unsatisfying. Was it humid in the Bay Area yesterday? That can really mess with a rink.
 
Memo to casual hockey fans: the Bruins are widely considered to be the Raiders of the NHL in terms of never getting the benefit of officiating. Ever. Also, it's really not a good look to insist on focusing on one call, and not the others. That "delay of game" penalty was egregious. And the penalty shot ... well, enjoy your home ice advantage, San Jose.

I guess that means you or you would know that the rule for puck over glass is completely digital :thu::bigg:. It matters not whether or not he meant to wanted to or intended to. if the puck is on your stick and it goes over the glass without touching the glass it's a penalty no debate of being egregious or not. The boston player hit the puck and it went directly over the glass == delay of game penalty. Rule 63

Ditto with the penalty shot. Although it is a bit more of a judgement call but this is the stated rule

When a player, in the neutral or attacking zone, in control of the puck (or who could have obtained possession and control of the puck) and having no other opponent to pass than the goalkeeper, is tripped or otherwise fouled from behind, thus preventing a reasonable scoring opportunity, a penalty shot shall be awarded to the non-offending team. Nevertheless, the Referee shall not stop play until the attacking team has lost possession of the puck to the defending team.

Thus it would seem a correct call. Though it worked out in this case I think often that the penalty itself is sometimes a better option. A lot of guys are way less than 20% on 1:1 against a quality goalie where a PP like Boston's is north of 25%. So you would almost like to have the option depending on who the call was on. A guy like Tarasenko sure take the shot. A guy like Gudas take the penalty...but that's not the way it works.

Yeah the ice was bad. They said during the broadcast that there was an AHL game in the afternoon so not much time to make the ice better
 
They should get solar panels on the roof of that arena so they can pump up the refrigerant or whatever. There is still a long time to go with the season and the playoffs.

Any guesses as to any big moves for trade deadline? Last few years 'big moves' didn't happen so...this year? Same? Any gut feelings?

I think Toronto is on deep trouble if they don't get another solid D man. I believe that they should have sat Nylander until trade deadline or (even better) the draft. Instead, they paid him and I think that the team hasn't been as good with him. Add in that he hasn't been that good individually and how could they move him now? I don't know.

I think that The Flyers look great as a dark horse after getting Talbot to help in goal.

The Islanders are the story that nobody talks about. They very quietly put together an impressive team after losing their 'franchise player' to Toronto in the off season and not picking up a star to fill the void.

The Blues have turned it around since the start of the season like nobody expected.

Buffalo seems to have lost early momentum.

Penguins are still dangerous. Very dangerous.

Montreal is an odd team to evaluate. They have their moments of great and horrible. It seems like very average players play their hearts out as soon as they get that jersey on.

San Jose's Kane still sucks.

Boston could make a deadline move but even if they don't they have a team that, if peak at the right time, could go deep.

Winnipeg is still daunting if not as consistent with a very deep lineup.

The Lightning is like Winnipeg without the inconsistency. Scary talent.

Washington will have to peak at the right time to do damage.

Chicago could be dangerous as they have emerged somewhat from the forgotten.
 
Memo to casual hockey fans: the Bruins are widely considered to be the Raiders of the NHL in terms of never getting the benefit of officiating. Ever. Also, it's really not a good look to insist on focusing on one call, and not the others. That "delay of game" penalty was egregious. And the penalty shot ... well, enjoy your home ice advantage, San Jose.

Either way, any hockey team worth two shits may bitch about calls, but doesn't blame the refs. Ever. If you are one officiating mistake from losing, then you're a loser, sorry.

The indicative play was actually the game-winner. Bruins won the puck battle; out-hustled down-ice; Sharks avoided bodying up even though on a wing rush it would've been the right play; good passing; puck in net.

The Bruins have their issues, but the kids are coming along nicely. The Sharks are good; there's no team dominating, so there are many who could come out of the West, including them.

I did not agree with the narrative being sold on nhl.com that the game was terrific. Never saw so many weird bounces - San Jose has to have a shitty ice surface. It was just odd, and unsatisfying. Was it humid in the Bay Area yesterday? That can really mess with a rink.

There was a Barracuda game just hours before the Sharks/Bruins game, and the ice is usually marginal on double header days.

Not sure if I would say the Bruins out hustled, since they went over 18 minutes without a shot on goal. It was a back and forth game. Thornton gets a hat trick is an indication that the Bruins were not up to par, since Jumbo is first and foremost a passer. When he gets 3 in the net it's likely due to weak defense on the other side.

As for the Bruins/Raiders comparison, you're not going to convince many in the Bay Area that the Raiders suffer from bad officiating. The Raiders are simply a team that gets penalized a lot because of dirty play. So considering the reputations of players like Marchand, the comparison might be valid.

And I'll take a Couture/Rask 1:1 any way we can get it. Bruins were lucky to win that game, no matter how you want to slice it.
 
Not only the goal that should have been waived off, but Rask purposely kicked the goal off the posts twice and Boston were not penalized in either case. I've noticed that this season is worse than usual as regards NHL referees' preference for "original 6" and Canadian teams. The Bruins were gifted this game by the zebras.

The "Original 6" is the lamest thing in professional sports. Who gives a fuck? Every league has expansion teams, and nobody cares after their first season or 2. Being an 'O-6' team is meaningless unless you have nothing else to hang your hat on.
 
"Considering the reputation of players like" ... is this how you inform yourself? I realize that when facts let you down, one needs to look elsewhere.

I'd be so much happier if people just said "I hate Boston because the people there are tribal-minded jerks who refute their history of racism, although I'm secretly envious of how cultured and educated they are." That would be so much easier.

The Original Six is significant because history is important. Perhaps new fans of new teams lack the experience of having a rooting experience be multigenerational within a family. Tradition is a great part of sports culture IMO.
 
"Considering the reputation of players like" ... is this how you inform yourself? I realize that when facts let you down, one needs to look elsewhere.

I'd be so much happier if people just said "I hate Boston because the people there are tribal-minded jerks who refute their history of racism, although I'm secretly envious of how cultured and educated they are." That would be so much easier.

The Original Six is significant because history is important. Perhaps new fans of new teams lack the experience of having a rooting experience be multigenerational within a family. Tradition is a great part of sports culture IMO.

Actually, I like both the Bruins and Marchand. Make up anything you wish if it makes you feel better.

The O6 is just a way for you to feel superior for no good reason. The SF Giants are one of the first baseball teams in the country, outdating the Sox by 20 plus years. But it's not a thing in baseball. Nobody talks about it in football either. But oh my god EVERY single time one of the 6 play a game that term is flung about. As for rooting history, my family has been Giants fans since they moved out here in 58. I've seen all the greats play over the years, starting with Willie, Willie, Orlando, etc..
 
Having a tradition and finding value in is indeed vastly superior to not having one and not being able to find value.

Good traditions, at least.

We won't discuss SEC football. I hope.
 
Having a tradition and finding value in is indeed vastly superior to not having one and not being able to find value.

Good traditions, at least.

We won't discuss SEC football. I hope.

So, there is value in repeatedly reminding everyone that they are an original team?

Ok, I guess. :shrug:

I don't watch college football unless it is Cal/Stanford, because tradition. You just never know what the band is going to do.
 
They should get solar panels on the roof of that arena so they can pump up the refrigerant or whatever. There is still a long time to go with the season and the playoffs.

Any guesses as to any big moves for trade deadline? Last few years 'big moves' didn't happen so...this year? Same? Any gut feelings?

I think Toronto is on deep trouble if they don't get another solid D man. I believe that they should have sat Nylander until trade deadline or (even better) the draft. Instead, they paid him and I think that the team hasn't been as good with him. Add in that he hasn't been that good individually and how could they move him now? I don't know.

I think that The Flyers look great as a dark horse after getting Talbot to help in goal.

The Islanders are the story that nobody talks about. They very quietly put together an impressive team after losing their 'franchise player' to Toronto in the off season and not picking up a star to fill the void.

The Blues have turned it around since the start of the season like nobody expected.

Buffalo seems to have lost early momentum.

Penguins are still dangerous. Very dangerous.

Montreal is an odd team to evaluate. They have their moments of great and horrible. It seems like very average players play their hearts out as soon as they get that jersey on.

San Jose's Kane still sucks.

Boston could make a deadline move but even if they don't they have a team that, if peak at the right time, could go deep.

Winnipeg is still daunting if not as consistent with a very deep lineup.

The Lightning is like Winnipeg without the inconsistency. Scary talent.

Washington will have to peak at the right time to do damage.

Chicago could be dangerous as they have emerged somewhat from the forgotten.

Trotz seems to have the inside track on Coach of the Year. With them losing Tavares no one saw a 1st place team. I bet few saw a playoff team. It took a while but they look very good right now. Except that the Lightning are the class of the league right now, no weak spots anywhere that I see. Beating them in a 7 game series (baring some significant injury) seems unlikely but then again the winners of the best record in the regular season has not been a good omen for the playoffs. Montreal is another team that has surprised (I thought the trade for Domi was a dumb one but clearly a change was great for him as he is having a career year and Galchenyuk has not been as good for the most part) but I can't see them going anywhere. The Blues look incredible right now. Another COY candidate perhaps? Calgary is another team that could do some damage but they also seem to blow hot and cold

There are some trades that could be made but it seems pretty quiet given there is only a few days left. I think some of the selling has already occurred (LA, Edm for example) and there might not be much left. Also who can/will be buyers. I'm not sure who has the cap room to make a significant move. There will likely be some minor (bottom 6 type) moves still which might improve some teams slightly but the top teams look more or less set to me
 
I kinda figured that I'd say what I wanted, and you could, too. Like forums on the internet I've seen.

OTOH, good to know it grates on people. Nothing like some good stick work in the corner.
 
I don't hear "original six" mentioned much except if it is 2 original 6 teams against each other. At any rate, history definitely means something - with hockey it does anyway. When The Lightning won a Stanley Cup in 2004, there were fewer people at their Stanley Cup parade than there were in Calgary on 17th Avenue just after a game in the previous series. The 'event' after losing in the Final? Probably 300 000 people. No kidding. And Calgary's team was a team that came from Atlanta in maybe the early '80s (or late '70s?).
 
But Calgary is hockey country. So is New England. And the upper Midwest. And the Canadian Maritimes.

Exactly. History means a lot in hockey. I suppose that's one of the reasons many people get so fired up about the orchestrated celebrations.
 
I think the orchestrations are just bush league. I'm a Grumpy Olde Farte when it comes to sports - I can't stand that the Celtics went to 'dancers' instead of organ music and replays. And when you watch nationally televised games on ESPN and TNT Sports, they just ignore the game to blah blah blah blah blah basically verbal diarrhea that reprises Instagram.

Didja know that ARawd waited tables at Mark Wahlberg's restaurant???!?!??! We'll tell ya for three more inningz!!!!!

Idiocracy come to sport.

I love hockey; I love it enough that I don't feel like it "needs more" to make it fun to watch. I don't mind post-goal celebrations - but post-game?! To me, that's a team that either needs to force themselves to bond as teammates (bad sign) or has their head somewhere other than 101% on the game (worse).

There are two acceptable post-game celebrations in hockey: handshake lines, and raising the Cup over your head after the very last game of the season.

It's not the perceived impropriety, it's more like an insult to the sport itself, like it's somehow not entertaining.
 
Back
Top