My boost pedal clicks every time i step on it. there has to be a solution

Chicken Man

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I just got a Tone Bone, since my PADI and EQ pedal (which i was using for a boost) both went out at the same time. The Tone Bone replaces them and adds several features, so I'm very happy with it. However, when i step on the boost button, there's a very audible click/pop when it engages/disengages. Timing my stomp with the beat only goes so far too disguise it.
I'm thinking there has to be something i can put after it (tho I'm running an XLR out) or even a mod to address this problem. Suggestions?

Right now, I have a tuner attached to the TB, but it's always on and a dead-end--I'm running into it from the tuner out on the TB, but not out of it. I'm using the power supply that came with the TB. It's "on" all the time, but only clicks when i step in the boost, not the mute or channel switch. The tuner is on a separate power supply, and future pedals (I just bought the wood to build a new pedal board yesterday) will be daisy chained off of the tuner.

Right now, I have a tuner attached to the TB, but it's always on and a dead-end--I'm running into it from the tuner out on the TB, but not out of it. I'm using the power supply that came with the TB. It's "on" all the time, but only clicks when i step in the boost, not the mute or channel switch. The tuner is on a separate power supply, and future pedals (I just bought the wood to build a new pedal board yesterday) will be daisy chained off of the tuner.

There may be a ground loop from the daisy chain. It could also be a dirty switch.

I'm not using the daisy chain yet, just a second power supply. Does that change the diagnosis? And is there a solution?

DC voltage can build up on the input cap, but I would expect the TB to have a pull down resistor.

But this is happening inside the pedal, isn't it? Well after input and only on the boost circuit....

Weird.

It may be your rig and/or environment. I've seen pedal pops happen in one setup but not in another.
In some case, the amp changed. In some case nothing changed but AC power..

First I would do, is isolate the pedal. Just guitar->pedal->amp. Take the tuner out all together just to see if that is causing it.

I had one pedal that would pop, but if I kicked it on and off a couple of times after turning the rig on, it wouldn't do it again until the next time I played.

They make switches that eliminate that pop, you could always replace the switch if you really like the pedal.

First I would do, is isolate the pedal. Just guitar->pedal->amp. Take the tuner out all together just to see if that is causing it.

I had one pedal that would pop, but if I kicked it on and off a couple of times after turning the rig on, it wouldn't do it again until the next time I played.

They make switches that eliminate that pop, you could always replace the switch if you really like the pedal.

I had a pedal that popped. I sold it (not because of the pop) and the buyer never experienced the pop. Electricity is weird.

Tonebone a newer one or older? Which model?
IIRC they changed their circuit design at one point to eliminate the pop much like DCF mentioned.

It's brand new. We were playing a pool party, so the poolhouse circuit is definitely a suspect. Is there a power conditioner or something i could use?

Which pedal? I'm familiar with Tonebone as a brand, but they make a lot of pedals.

There are a several things that can make a pedal pop, but if it's new I would exchange it and make sure it's not a bad switch, cap, etc.

Last edited:
I've got the PZ pre. I'm past the 30 day return period.

I'm not sure about Tonebone, but every pedal company I have dealt with has been awesome about sending them in for repair. If you think it may be the pedal, it's worth a quick email to them.

Isolate the PZ Pre, just guitar->pedal-> amp, uae a dedicated power supply for pedal only.

Still a pop? If so, I would ask Tone Bonenof normal. If not, ass everything else back one at a time until pop happens.

Back