Mesa Boogie C14766 Electro-Voice Black Shadow 12"

warren0728

Kick Henry Jackassowski
hey folks ... i haven't been around much ... lots going on

i have a chance to buy a Mesa Boogie C14766 Electro-Voice Black Shadow 12" cab ... it's supposedly in perfect shape and i can get it for $200 ... a friend of mine is selling it

seems like a no-brainer but i know nothing about them ... am i missing something or should i grab it?

i know it's heavy as hell but i only play at home so i don't have to lug it around!

thoughts?

Is this the old compact Mesa 1x12"? I bought one of those a few months ago and it’s great. I was worried the Black Shadow might need to be pushed to sound good, but mine sounds fine at bedroom volumes.

I've had a Mesa combo and a cab with that speaker and I liked the sound of it. I have no idea what they are worth though.

if the cab comes with the EV/Black Shadow speaker....then hell yea, buy it. the speaker is worth more than half that.

i'm not sure how old it is but i'm guessing oldish ...

my only concern is that my amp is a custom handbuilt point to point amp that is only 5 watts with the ability to scale power back ... i'll only be playing at home so i don't need it to get super loud ... do you think 5 watts will drive it?

he will let me bring my amp over to connect it and try it out ... just thought i would get the forums opinions before i go over there!

thanks!

i'm not sure how old it is but i'm guessing oldish ...

my only concern is that my amp is a custom handbuilt point to point amp that is only 5 watts with the ability to scale power back ... i'll only be playing at home so i don't need it to get super loud ... do you think 5 watts will drive it?

he will let me bring my amp over to connect it and try it out ... just thought i would get the forums opinions before i go over there!

thanks!

i have a Kustom Defender 5 watt (EL-84) amp that drives my 12" EVM with NO problem. those EV's are VERY efficient speakers and are well known for producing pretty good low end with little wattage amps.
but like stated above. take your amp....if it sounds good....buy it.
also, my EVM's were bought new in 1989. so they've been around a while.

well i ended up getting it ... my little amp sounds great through it (man i need to dust off the amp)!
boogie.jpg

now that's a magnet!
boogie-back.jpg

EV's almost always sound good. and they don't take much power to get great tone. even the low end is there with just a few watts.
:thu:

Back