Marks new "Getting Healthy" thread.

I gue

I guess. I just REALLY blew it.

Sometimes a binge is ok. Your body may have needed some specific nutrients, and the indulgence is always a stress relief. Accept it and move on, don’t beat yourself up. A little set back is easily overcome. I’ll be passing a hat around for donations...

49671254_2202083066479494_1952354676628258816_n.jpg

Seven years of this and I’m back at it. Not wanting “pre-diabetes” to turn into “full on diabeetus” is good motivation, though, also made a few other life changes that seem to be helping. I’m hoping to hit and maintain 250 by New Years and 240 by my birthday in May. So far I’m down about 20lbs from last year and 10 lbs in the last 2 months or so.

081DCDAA-CA9C-4508-8E2D-00BA5F356494.jpeg

Seven years of this and I’m back at it. Not wanting “pre-diabetes” to turn into “full on diabeetus” is good motivation, though, also made a few other life changes that seem to be helping. I’m hoping to hit and maintain 250 by New Years and 240 by my birthday in May. So far I’m down about 20lbs from last year and 10 lbs in the last 2 months or so.

View attachment 78574
I wonder what happened in 2020 to make you gain that weight? Weird right?

I wonder what happened in 2020 to make you gain that weight? Weird right?

I used that time (and a busy work schedule, and some med changes that "might cause a loss of appetite for a few weeks" to allow me to) basically starve myself for a few months, then recalibrate my brain for what a "normal portion size" of food is, and when and when not to snack. Once the appetite supression wore off, I had developed some better eating habits and I was able to shave off 50 pounds in that year.

Flash forward two years and I've had a couple bouts of bouncing up and down 5 - 7 pounds.... but instead of 238-242.... I've been able to maintain 188-194 at 5' 11" (depending on the day of the week or weekend binge). :baimun:

Last edited:
Honestly, when my wife was diagnosed with MS we went to a very basic diet and started fasting. I've lost 20 pounds and am very healthy compared to what I was. Still have just a few pounds to go and need to cut the drinking but I feel better. Went from 199 to 182 down to 177 and fluctuating. If I cut my drinking I could probably be 160 at 5'11"

Honestly, when my wife was diagnosed with MS we went to a very basic diet and started fasting. I've lost 20 pounds and am very healthy compared to what I was. Still have just a few pounds to go and need to cut the drinking but I feel better. Went from 199 to 182 down to 177 and fluctuating. If I cut my drinking I could probably be 160 at 5'11"
That happened when my wife discovered her gluten allergy. She kept the weight off and I absorbed it all.

I started my bacon-only thing again about a month ago.
Mostly because I have a closet full of clothes that don’t fit anymore, but also avoiding the pre-diabetes thing.

I didn’t keep track from the start, but I’ve lost 10 pounds in the last 2 weeks or so. I’d guess I’m down 15 pounds overall.
I’m already feeling better. More energy. Less muscle pain when I do stuff.
I’d like to lose another 20. Basically, all of the weight I gained during the pandemic.

I started my bacon-only thing again about a month ago.
Mostly because I have a closet full of clothes that don’t fit anymore, but also avoiding the pre-diabetes thing.

I didn’t keep track from the start, but I’ve lost 10 pounds in the last 2 weeks or so. I’d guess I’m down 15 pounds overall.
I’m already feeling better. More energy. Less muscle pain when I do stuff.
I’d like to lose another 20. Basically, all of the weight I gained during the pandemic.
Attempting dietary changes, and some intermittent fasting, to attempt to do the same. And hopefully reduce inflammation related aches and pains/digestion issues along the way as well. I don't have a strong plan yet, but am working on it. My wrist tendonitis that flared up this summer has impacted my normal exercise strategies, but that is improving so hopefully I can get my cardio back up too to help. I have mostly been walking/hiking lately, but need some more intensity, and particular strength/flexibility stuff, especially for my ski job.

And I am doing Mark's old hand/wrist stretches now as well. Have not got a wax bath yet. Cortisone shot in the wrist seemed to help it turn a corner but it is not fully there yet.

I’ve been challenged this year by injury and a cross-country move. I had to stop refereeing in March due to the pain and had shoulder surgery in August. I’m still rehabbing, doing 30-45 minutes of exercises a day (depending on the week) and hope to get clearance soon to resume a full workout schedule. Anyway - I ended up with a net gain of five or eight pounds (new fat - muscle mass lost) and it’s my aim to lose that by spring.

Back