March for Science

Woodchucks have a virus that is nearly identical to human hepatitis B virus, and woodchuck infections with this virus are an ideal model of the infection kinetics, chronicity, and liver pathology seen in the human virus. They even develop liver cancer at about the same rate as humans with HBV, making them an ideal model system.

Last edited:
The Earth is flat.

So say an ever-increasing number of people who can't wrap their brains around the fact it is indeed a sphere. In the 21st century, an amazing number of idiots are actually dumber than their ancestors. YouTube has become their platform.

I find it intriguing, maddening and entertaining as hell.

Actually, it's an oblate spheroid...

I came here to read about earth day and science and ended up seeing a political discussion. I find it pitiable that science has become a political ping-pong ball, but I guess there's nothing new about that.

BTW -- I am not a scientist, but have worked in science-adjacent positions (first at the Electric Power Research Institute) then at Stanford (where I was program manager of the Program on Energy and Sustainable Development) and then at the Stanford Blood Center for the past 27 years, so hopefully that gives me at least a modicum of bona fide to my opinions.

Woodchucks have a virus that is nearly identical to human hepatitis B virus, and woodchuck infections with this virus are an ideal model of the infection kinetics, chronicity, and liver pathology seen in the human virus. They even develop liver cancer at about the same rate as humans with HBV, making them an ideal model system.

Do HBV-infected woodchucks upchuck wood? If so, how much wood can an HBV+ woodchuck upchuck?

ad2707c197cea3e54435b542c3569f11.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tiltsta's reply may well be the greatest post in the history of this forum.

Sure, it probably could have been condensed to, "Go get fucked," but that was infinitely more entertaining.

Last edited:
I am proud to stand here before all of you today and present this award to my cyber buddy Tiltsa. Congratulations friend, more than anyone, you sir have "gone full OGG".

You have raised an already very high bar. Those that follow in your path have some mighty big shoes to fill.

Let's all give this man a well earned round of applause!

Sent from Crab Nebulae via reverse engineered alien technology

I didn't even go to the march because my in-laws were visiting and they didn't want to go, but I thought I'd stop by this thread to tell certain people here to get fucked.

Way to science, No Science.

Your in laws are probably witches. Which serves you right for being an impious metalhead.

Way to science, No Science.

Your in laws are probably witches. Which serves you right for being an impious metalhead.
you know what they say - witches get stitches. my in laws voted for trump. I scienced extra hard this morning to make up for this weekend. ugh.

We wanted to go, but my wife weren't feeling none too good.

My dad went to Catholic school. You know what they taught him? Evolution. No issues. I work at Georgetown who's Carnegie research status is based almost entirely on the research done by in the sciences, especially at Georgetown University Medical Center where I work as a librarian.

Science and Christianity aren't enemies. The droves of deplorable dumbasses that infest the U.S. that call themselves Christians equate their myopic view of the bible as against science are a massive part of the problem. And the GOP has been pandering to these twats for decades. And now they are themselves infested with idiots that actually question proven science, as opposed to those that knew it was accurate, but downed it to serve the wishes of the their high level campaign donors (who also believed in science and its findings, but want/wanted to dismiss various findings that would potentially impede their efforts to make more money at ALL costs).

Reactions: Tig
We wanted to go, but my wife weren't feeling none too good.

My dad went to Catholic school. You know what they taught him? Evolution. No issues. I work at Georgetown who's Carnegie research status is based almost entirely on the research done by in the sciences, especially at Georgetown University Medical Center where I work as a librarian.

Science and Christianity aren't enemies. The droves of deplorable dumbasses that infest the U.S. that call themselves Christians equate their myopic view of the bible as against science are a massive part of the problem. And the GOP has been pandering to these twats for decades. And now they are themselves infested with idiots that actually question proven science, as opposed to those that knew it was accurate, but downed it to serve the wishes of the their high level campaign donors (who also believed in science and its findings, but want/wanted to dismiss various findings that would potentially impede their efforts to make more money at ALL costs).

Tin Foil Hat Theory:

Jenny McCarthy was paid by Science Deniers to convince reactionaries to not be immunized, therefore wiping them from the planet, and solidifying the case for real science.

:tinfoil:

Back