Maiden voyage of the pellet grill

Lerxst

spaghetti and blankets
Brisket went on around 11:30 for an hour at 180 and now i just bumped it up to 200 while I'm out front of the house, washing the car. Definitely delivering some smoke at these lower temps
a7394e635952ef6bb2262b225945f6a6.jpg
729812550a8f1c3f0780efeb118aabe5.jpg

Lower temp than I go with,but it should work out fine.

I go for around 220f
and smoke a minimum of 12 hours.

We need after pics of course. eat0

Lower temp than I go with,but it should work out fine.

I go for around 220f
and smoke a minimum of 12 hours.

We need after pics of course. eat0
I'm doing a step cook with some lower temp stages to relay infuse the smoke then it'll bump up to bring the meat temp up over time

Reactions: DFB
I'm doing a step cook with some lower temp stages to relay infuse the smoke then it'll bump up to bring the meat temp up over time
I guess this is for a meal tomorrow then?
I also use a smoker with an offset fire box.
Different from what you are doing.

Once the meats come out good ( and low and slow always works )
you're good.

Last edited:

you're good.

you're good.

That's the pellet hopper. There's an auger that automatically pulls pellets from the hopper into the firebox, which is in the bottom of the grill, based on your set temp.
The firebox has an ignitor rod that combusts the pellets and there's a fan behind the auger tube to maintain positive air pressure into the grill box. Its got a temp sensor in the grill and PID to maintain a specific temp. There's also a temp probe that goes into the meat so you can program specific time/grill temp/meat temp. It hooks up to your wifi and you can control it via app on your phone or tablet.

Reactions: DFB
Is that the Green Mountain grill? I was looking at those this morning.

Yes. It's the small one; Davey Crockett.

I picked up a bag of mixed pellets; apple, hickory, mesquite, maple & alder. So the brisket has a great smoke flavor but it's not identifiable as a specific type of smoke. You can get specific wood pellets but then you're going to need to clean out the hopper when you want to switch.

It takes around 10 - 15 minutes to do its thing and get up to your cooking temp (which is probably somewhat influenced by ambient temps, wind, etc). Once you're at temp, changes are pretty quick. The automated aspect is pretty cool. I chose to change my temp manually so I could also monitor pellet consumption but this could have been a total set it and forget it thing.

Salmon was great too.
Put that on last night with the brisket, seasoned with a little salt, pepper, evoo, garlic and ginger. Side of potato salad and it was a perfect summer dinner.

I just looked at the website...damn nice grill you have there.
I don't often (or ever) smoke meats but if I did I likely get the same one you did.

I just looked at the website...damn nice grill you have there.
I don't often (or ever) smoke meats but if I did I likely get the same one you did.

We use the Webber kettle all the time but I was looking for something I could do long cooks with less attention/tending required. This one definitely fits that bill.

I'm curious to see how it works for regular grilling for stuff like steaks and burgers. Itll be hard to beat the 'zone' cooking I do with the kettle.

Excellent!

I am going nuts not having a grill. Third year in a row. There is just no place to put one in my current rental. When we buy a hose (hopefully soon) that is one of my first purchases. Not sure it I get a smoker....I may just get a Weber Kettle and smoke on that.

My smoker crashed and burned. The heating element blew out and I couldn't get a new one - I have since not smoked anything.

Try smoking pizzas - awesomeness abound!!

Back