Question: Low gain OD?

Pine Apple Slim

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I play mostly roots rock.
I have a Soul Food but I can’t seem to bond with it.
My amp is a Carr Rambler and most of my guitars carry humbuckers.
I was looking at the Mad Professor Sweet Honey, Timmy, OCD.
What would you suggest (under $200)?

I use my catlinbread DLS as a low gain/boost. Dial the gain way back to near zero and volume up

If you like the sound of an AC 30, the Boss Combo Drive is fantastic. It can go from light OD to some pretty heavy dirt. You can find them for $50 or less on Reverb.

@sunvalleylaw has the F55. Maybe he can chime in.
I am enjoying it so far with my Peavey, but really want to get my Concert up and running to try it there, to add that tweedness to the brown sound, and dirty it up a little. I love the pedal, so don't mistake what I am saying as disappointment. I just can't wait to try it after the Concert is fixed. I am hoping to get the amp in to a tech maybe at the end of the week.

The pedal seems similar to the FormNo. 5 with more range. It starts in green mode at lower gain, then can be pushed to the just within the 5 zone within the green mode, and then it takes of from there and goes a little higher still than the 5 in the red mode. Or so it seems to me. It is very volume knob responsive, and seems to be useful as a not quite, or maybe more accurately somewhat dirty boost in green mode, that can dirty up a bit with the guitar volume dimed and clean up (but not all the way) with the volume down. The red mode reminds me so far of the Form 5 turned up, with maybe a little more. I need more time with it to be more accurate and precise in my description. And as I said, want to try it with the Concert.

And it seems to me it would be a nice fit with that Carr. My old guitar instructor has one of those. It is nice, and it seems to me the 55 should be a good fit with that amp. But take all my spew with a grain of salt. I am just a Dad hack after all.

Second for the Way Huge Saucy Box. I have it and it is excellent.

I also have a Full Drive 2 MOSFET that is quite good and very flexible.

You also may want to think about modding the Soul Food to see if it fits the bill better. If you still don't like it, you'll probably be able to sell it and take little/no loss.

Timmy is $130. The Keeley Super Phat Mod, which is Keeley's production modded BD-2 is $150. The BOSS BD-2w, which has a "custom" setting, is $150.
I just bought a Boss Angry Driver. As you guys probably know, it's a Blues Driver and an Angry Charlie in one box. I really like it.

I just bought a Boss Angry Driver. As you guys probably know, it's a Blues Driver and an Angry Charlie in one box. I really like it.

I haven't played one yet, but I'm interested to know what the mods to the circuits are. Seems everyone loves the parallel setting.

Back