Looks like I'm building a P-bass

smurfco

Meatus McPrepuce
I sold my USA Special P a while ago. It was decent but too heavy.

I also have the amazing sounding 71 P that I got, but it's fretless. So I thought, why not get a fretted neck and put it on the 71 P?

So I found a used but very nice 2013 Fender American Standard P neck, including tuners / string tree, on TalkBass.

img_1190-jpg.2758077

It showed up and it doesn't fit. It's barely too big. I could sand down the neck or the body but I don't really want to do that. And it's cool as a fretless.

So I went on Warmoth and got this:

BP3000C.jpg

It's the lightest alder body they had on there (4 lbs 5 oz) and I love the color. Over the next few weeks I'll collect the rest of the parts. I am thinking black / white / black pickguard.

Transparent butterscotch is gorgeous.

Nothing wrong with B/W/B pickguard. My Warmoth Tele is that color and I went all-black pickguard. I think it turned out dead sexy.

The following parts have been ordered:

EMG Geezer Butler pickup: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GZR-P

This thing has been getting rave reviews at TalkBass. It's an EMG but it's passive and (supposedly) based on Geezer's 1968 P. I don't know much about Black Sabbath but this should get a nice big tone. Also it's solderless wiring and comes with a kit, so I wont need to buy / wire a harness.

Other stuff:
Black/white/black pickguard
Schaller straplocks (chrome)
Fender bent steel vintage style bridge - was thinking something High Mass but I opted for lighter and more vintage-y
Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flat strings
Miscellaneous screws, knobs, etc.

The neck weighs 2.5 pounds. The body's 4.5 so that's right at 7. Add the pickup, bridge, knobs, etc. and I'm hoping to keep it under 7.5 pounds total.

I might bring this to BarnStock instead of guitars...

The following parts have arrived!

- Fender 2013 American Standard Precision Bass Neck, maple
- Fender Pickguard Screws (YES!!!)
- Fender "F" Stamped Neckplate + Bolts

Back