Line 6 M5 vs Zoom G3.... multi-effect suggestions welcome

cvogue

Yes, that's Oolong. :)
I've got a Line 6 M5 stompbox modeler that's starting to freak out on me, when changing patches the screen blanks and then comes back and the patch doesn't change. Given that my birthday and Christmas are coming up I'm considering asking my wife and Santa for a new multi effect. Here's what I'd like:

1. Under 200 bucks
  2. Relatively small footprint (M5 is a good size, I think G3 will fit too)
  3. Little to no tone suckage when off (the M5 despite it's issues is true bypass which I really like).
  4. I'll be using it for mod/delay effects primarily and it will live in the loop
  5. Ideally it will have multiple buttons for patches/effects (one drawback for the M5 is that you can only have one effect at a time and switching between them is a pain, even between songs... forget about it during a song.).
So the Zoom does what I want given the above I believe but I'm not sure about the tone suckage and overall sound.

Or if you have other suggestions, bring 'em on!

Thanks!

I've always liked the quality of Line6's effects over Zoom's. They always seemed more organic and analog even though they're 100% digital. Zoom will sound alright, but not quite.

Pete Thorn's current pedalboard has an M9 on it, if that's any indication of the quality of Line6's effects.

I have never owned a multi-effect unit, so I am no help. Well, I guess I have if you count this.

xoc92rxilaetqpar5x7c.jpg

I know the Zoom G3 and similar Zoom models (G3x, G5) have gotten a lot of love, but when I've tried them they left me quite cold. I also find that compact-sized mfx with an expression pedal attached are kind of awkward and somewhat unbalanced, like if I use the pedal, I'm going to flip the damn thing up...

Here's one for you:

Fender Mustang Floor. $199 just about everywhere. It is basically a floor version of a Mustang III amp, but with a few extras like an expression pedal, XLR outs, etc. It also allows for turning off amp and cab sims so you can use it as a straight multieffects pedal, although like its' amplifier brothers, has some great amp sims and tweakability with the Fuse software (although you can perform just about all of the same edits via the controls and LCD screen). All-metal construction, so it's built like a tank. The only downsides are 1) no looping function, and 2) you can't stack multiple stomps, delays, etc - only one stomp, delay, mod at a time, and 3) not very compact.

MustangFLR-large.jpg

I have a Zoom G3 and think it is great! Easy to setup and works just like having three pedals at a time. The delays, reverbs and some of the modulation sound top notch to me. I have never noticed tone suck using it. I don't use it on my band board, because I have tons of pedals, but would if i didn't already have my needs meet. I mainly use it at home for a hearphone amp which it works great for with all the amp sims.

I have a Zoom G3 and think it is great! Easy to setup and works just like having three pedals at a time. The delays, reverbs and some of the modulation sound top notch to me. I have never noticed tone suck using it. I don't use it on my band board, because I have tons of pedals, but would if i didn't already have my needs meet. I mainly use it at home for a hearphone amp which it works great for with all the amp sims.

Cool thanks. I'm really liking the size and the fact that you can have 3 pedals available instantly and 3 more with slight tweaking with the latest software. Glad to hear it doesn't suck tone...

I like the Fender that CBHScott mentioned above but it's just too big.

Well Santa is going to bring me a G3. I think the thing that clinched it was a video of the flanger sound, really nice wide sweep:

From about 6 to 6:30 gives a nice VH/Barracuda sound

Also the ZNR noise reduction sounds like it works really well.

We'll see!

Back