Let's Have a Funny Pic Thread! Mk 38

Status
Not open for further replies.
bphw7d0l7bu61.png

I have to watch a lot of British TV with the captions on. Do British people actually understand what’s being said? Or do they just assume that those terrible sound mixes are just accents from the North?

What shows are you talking about?

Most British TV has some form of BBC news / London centric / posh accent or bbc "hard" accent ala Peaky Blinders so it's easy enough to understand.

Being from Glasgow I don't struggle with other rough city dialects - Newcastle, Liverpool, Belfast but now and again somewhere like Manchester or Edinburgh will catch me out (Edinburgh being 40 minutes away in the car...)

Once you get to the Scottish islands you might as well be on a different continent dialect wise a lot of the time.

What shows are you talking about?

Most British TV has some form of BBC news / London centric / posh accent or bbc "hard" accent ala Peaky Blinders so it's easy enough to understand.

Being from Glasgow I don't struggle with other rough city dialects - Newcastle, Liverpool, Belfast but now and again somewhere like Manchester or Edinburgh will catch me out (Edinburgh being 40 minutes away in the car...)

Once you get to the Scottish islands you might as well be on a different continent dialect wise a lot of the time.
my maternal grandparents come here from glasgow in 1925, so i grew up hearing that and even some old scot/gaelic speak.
i rarely have trouble with brit accents, unless they're pissed drunk, then maybe not so much :bigg:

edit: this saying was heard often: it's a braw bricht moonlicht nicht the nicht

Last edited:
Reactions: jbj
my maternal grandparents come here from glasgow in 1925, so i grew up hearing that and even some old scot/gaelic speak.
i rarely have trouble with brit accents, unless they're pissed drunk, then maybe not so much :bigg:

You'd be OK in my company. I've spent enough time inebriated abroad to know when to slow down and speak polite. :embarrassed:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back