Just had a Boston Cooler, and my question is...

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
…why is it called a Boston Cooler, when it's made with Vernor's (Detroit)?

:confused:

boston-cooler2.jpg

Vernor's + vanilla ice cream.

Boston Cooler[edit]
A Boston Cooler or Vernor's float is typically composed of Vernors ginger ale and vanilla ice cream.[14]

The origin of the term "Boston Cooler" lies in Detroit, Michigan, the city in which Fred Sanders is credited with inventing the ice cream soda. The name is a mystery, having no apparent connection to Boston, Massachusetts, where the beverage is virtually unknown.[15][16] One theory suggests that it was named after Detroit's Boston Boulevard, the main thoroughfare of what was then, according to the theory, an upper-class neighborhood a short distance from James Vernor's drugstore.[17][18] Boston Boulevard, however, did not exist at the time. The streets and subdivision that became the Boston-Edison neighborhood, approximately five miles from Vernor's drugstore, were not platted nor incorporated into the city until 1891, and its first homes not constructed until 1905, nine years after Vernor closed his drugstore.[19]

It is known that by the 1880s the Boston Cooler was being served in Detroit,[citation needed] made with the local Vernors.[14] Originally, a drink called a Vernors Cream was served as a shot or two of sweet cream poured into a glass of Vernors. Later, vanilla ice cream was substituted for the cream to make a Vernors float. Unlike a float, however, a Boston Cooler is blended like a thick milkshake. Both Sanders soda fountains and Michigan-based Big Boy restaurants (which had Boston Coolers as a signature item until the Elias Brothers sold their franchise to new ownership in the 1980s) used their milkshake blenders to prepare the drink.

--from wikipedia

I thought a Boston Cooler was when a scat fetishist has his partner stuff her ass with frozen marshmallows so the resulting diarrhea is cold.

I live about 60 miles away from Boston and I've never heard of one.
Around here coffee milk is pretty popular but outside of New England people look at you sideways when you ask for it.....

8e7c1db17465915b094ee07707f20dfa.jpg

Back