Just got a cool gig

Gary Blanchard

beloved, local musician
I have been asked to play at a Holiday Party at an assisted living facilities dementia unit. The woman who hired me says they love music and respond well to it. She stated they also have some Jewish residents, so I am crash-learning some Hanukkah songs as well. It is a one-hour gig that pays well and doesn't require a sound system.

The best part is that, if it goes well, it could become a monthly gig. I have found that folks in nursing homes are usually a very receptive audience.

I have been asked to play at a Holiday Party at an assisted living facilities dementia unit. The woman who hired me says they love music and respond well to it. She stated they also have some Jewish residents, so I am crash-learning some Hanukkah songs as well. It is a one-hour gig that pays well and doesn't require a sound system.

The best part is that, if it goes well, it could become a monthly gig. I have found that folks in nursing homes are usually a very receptive audience.
Nice Gary!

I think Adam Sandler's Hanukkah Song always goes over well. :tongue:

You should do the hora and get the staff to help you lift them up on chairs. :grin:

Nice Gary!

I think Adam Sandler's Hanukkah Song always goes over well. :tongue:
They are not so far gone that they would tolerate Adam Sandler. :embarrassed:
You should do the hora and get the staff to help you lift them up on chairs. :grin:
I am still in a lot of pain and walking with a cane. A lot would need to happen in the next 10 days for me to do the hora. I'll be lucky to be able to carry the guitar. I had to cancel a TV taping Monday because I couldn't walk from the parking lot to the studio with the guitar. :(

If I get the monthly gig, it will be mostly covers, but there is a joy in playing a song that stirs memories in people who have memory problems. I happen to have a good selection of traditional tunes as well as 1930s pop songs at my disposal from my days of playing old-time/good-time music. I may even get another ukulele. :grin:

Back