Julian Lage says "sh!t" a lot

There was the thread about his latest album where someone mentioned that he's still searching or hasn't fully found his own voice yet. I think that may be one of the most appealing things about him.

We're looking at an incredibly talented and proficient musician continuing to evolve and find himself. Or should I say searching for himself...or searching for the music, with "him" not being anything but another tool for interesting music. He could have stopped "exploring" before this video (which is about four years old) and still be great and have a long career ahead of him. Instead he's continuing his journey to find out less what he wants to say and more what there is, or may be, to say musically. It's quite possible and valid that he has no interest in developing a signature voice, but prefers traveling through the world of music and experiencing whatever comes his way or comes out of him. Eventually that may lead to a voice we know and think of instantly as Julian Lage, but is a signature voice anymore arbitrary a measure of a musician's value than how fast they can play or how many (if any) styles they've mastered?

In the realm of the guitar world that "voice" is often associated with the a batch of seemingly unique licks combined with a particular tone often used by a musician. Actually it extends beyond the guitar, but it's the folk and pop musician (loosely defined as anyone not playing legit/classical music) that includes the development of riffs and licks that goes beyond being a learning tool and often becomes the well we too frequently visit, or worse, exclusively visit when we play. I know I've been stuck in a rut for the better part of two decades as time is limited, but this videos inspires the shit out of me.

In the classical world that voice is more abstract or esoteric in that the players are not choosing what to play, but instead how to play (and even then it can be constricted by the notation or conductor) or how to express the mandated notes / notated parts. It seems to me the Julian is combining the two notions while being confined by neither.

Also, his guitar sounds awesome. None of that overly muted and compressed tone usually lacking high-end that often plagues jazz players using full hollowbody boxes.

Many thanks for posting this stellar video.

Last edited:
Back