Job mojo update

jbj

Poor old Geordie's array...
This morning I told the kids that I won't be around after the Summer.

Kid #1 reaction: "Who'll sing Bruce Springsteen tunes to us now?"

Kid #2 reaction: "I think everyone is suffering from a dose of Stockholm Syndrome" :grin: :facepalm: he did say later on that he was joking and for all the "horrible" things he says about me we've bonded and he doesn't want me to go.

Kid #3 (who maintains that he hates me because I replaced his other teacher and has threatened to stab me on more than a few occasions: "Will you come back to visit us?"

It's a shame because I'm not going to drag them or their parents into the politics of it all but they just can't understand why all of a sudden I have to go.

On the upside, I've had a few decent interviews for posts I didn't really want that have served as good practice and have a few more lined up plus another half dozen applications in for jobs that I'd really like so we'll see what happens.

The title is a bit of a misnomer - my average DJ gig is paying roughly the same as a week of teaching just now (not that I'm complaining but it does make me question where the world is heading :grin: ) so I don't need to worry about the mortgage and if nothing comes of these interviews I'll just go back to a general supply baby sitting job.

This morning I told the kids that I won't be around after the Summer.

Kid #3 (who maintains that he hates me because I replaced his other teacher and has threatened to stab me on more than a few occasions: "Will you come back to visit us?"

:cry:

I hope it all works out for you and the kids in the end.

Took 2 interesting calls today that really hammer home what a load of bullshit the decision to bring in 2 primary teachers and get rid of me in the place in currently working -

1. From yesterdays interview: You performed brilliantly (I thought I was a bit meh tbh), have great experience and your application was very strong. However we have an internal canddate and it would be unwise to remove someone who's been here a while and doing a great job for an unknown quantity, regardless of how well you performed at interview.

Makes complete sense if you ask me.

2. From alocal primary school: Your application is by far the strongest we've got and everyone who is on the leet team is very impressed. However council policy states that as you're a secondary teacher, we can't process your application as , technically, you're officially not sanctioned to teach in primary schools.

And yet my boss has ditched my good self as an internal candidate and brought in teachers who, technically, shouldn't be doing the job....

We do a quality assurance review the last week of term and I'm considering getting him on the spot and asking what the real reason I'm being let go is because as time goes on and things unfold, I'm starting to consider the possibility that there's more to it than simply being 'outperformed at interview'

We do a quality assurance review the last week of term and I'm considering getting him on the spot and asking what the real reason I'm being let go is because as time goes on and things unfold, I'm starting to consider the possibility that there's more to it than simply being 'outperformed at interview'

sounds like it t me, too.

First thing I thought. Is he related to/bonking one (or both) of the girls or something?

sounds like it t me, too.

Who knows - my sister reckons my line manager might feel threatened and my mum thinks the idiot the next class over might have something to do with it.

Either way, he'll get to continue on being a completely useless waste of space (3rd worst teacher ive ever had the misfortune to work alongside) and I'll invest my skills and energy somewhere that they're appreciated.

First thing I thought. Is he related to/bonking one (or both) of the girls or something?

Bo

Bonking? Cool yet jets benny hill :embarrassed:

I know nothing about these women except they taught in primary schools. Will be interesting to see if its a lower down the pay scale thing as that'll blow a bog hole in his claims that were equally experienced.

Another interview lined up for next Friday - school that I could walk to and is peripatetic / based around primary to secondary transitions so it would be quite unique and a cool new challenge.

I've put an application in for the special school my brother works in and I should get an interview too as I've worked in there on and off for years.

Sorry but I'm about to go on a bit of a rant. I doubt any of you are bothered but it's hit me like a train today and I want to get it out there and be done with it.

I've been trying not to expend too much energy on why I wasn't kept on but following an incident today I think I've maybe part sussed out why I've been shit canned in this place.

The time table changes for every kid next week - for your average child this is a bit of an inconvenience if you're not going to be with your pals most of the time or you get stuck with a shitty English teacher you don't like - for a kid with profound autism it's quite literally a traumatic event.

Today at lunch one of our seniors, who isn't actually one of my pupils, was down for some chill out time at lunch and even by his physical demeanour you could see that he was upset about something.

I don't know him particularly well but I got him to come and do a wee task for me to get him away from everyone else then asked if he was OK.

This kid is 17 and, without being facetious, the easiest way to describe his normal operational state is like Rainman when his show is rescheduled - this kid was distraught about the fact that he's going to be stuck with the same kids (all with severe autism too) yet again, he doesn't like them, they're considerably higher tariff than him so he spends his days getting frustrated at them and their behaviour and he can't stand the thought of being stuck with them for another year.

For someone without autism the reality is that you suck it up and just ignore these people. For this kid - the next year of his life is going to be hell whenever he's in school.

He then started breaking down and getting upset about the fact that he doesn't have any real friends to turn to outside of school and his parents basically can't be arsed with him when he goes to them with a problem.

I was doing my best to reason with him whilst, genuinely tearing up a little, when the dickhead teacher the next class over came out and "asked for a word"

This essentially translates as: I've got some sort of bullshit to say, can we do it out of earshot of the kids?

He then goes on a big rant about how this kid is pestering all the staff who support him with this issue and the bossman (i.e. the cunt that has shitcanned me) has decided the best course of action is to deflect the conversation by saying - you'll need to speak to mr bossman about these issues, at which point he can fob him off and kick him into the long grass.

I lost the fucking plot - During the conversation with this kid I was at times having to query whether he was self harming or considering doing it and the head of service has basically said - palm him off - the kid is hard work to deal with due to his condition but you're not going to tell someone in a wheelchair just to suck it up and get on with it because the lift is broke..... that's basically what they've done with this kid.

I had a go at dickhead next door and the bossman and then it struck me - my face doesn't really fit here and that might be why I've been papped out.

I can't name it obviously but this school is one of the top in the country and there's a certain "ethos" that permeates the place - you do what you're told and that's that. Some of the most nervous colleagues I have run faculties with 20 teaching staff below them but are shit scared of senior management coming down on them!

I was brought up in a scheme that was ranked in the 50 worst areas (of 3,500) for deprivation and poverty, my dad was brought up in a scheme that was so rough Panaroma made a "shit look what's going on here!!!" documentary back in the day.

I make no bones about the fact I can be rough about the edges and I'm not going to put on any airs or graces or hide where I came from or what I'm about.

Then I wind up working in a school where they run specific classes for those kids who are gunning to get into Oxford or Cambridge and we had an ex pupil on university challenge not too long ago... in the meantime I'm the token guy on the teaching staff who'll stop and chat to the janitors or ask the canteen workers how their day is going when most of the teaching staff completely ignore them.

I'm the guy that will call out my boss (when most of the staff are so crushed under the expectations of pupil performance that they'll work until 11pm just to keep the powers that be happy) for some bullshit move that only takes a modicum of human decency to try and look out for a kid who's really struggling with the idea that he's stuck in the same classes with the kids he doesn't like for yet another year.

So yeah, I think it's maybe a lot to do with the fact that I really didn't get with the programme as expected.

Got another interview offer host there so that's four in the next 2 weeks and there's another one in my brothers school im nigh on guaranteed to be interviewed for coming up too.

If I don't get one of these I might have to go through with my threats to set up a beachside rum shack when I get to Jamaica :grin:

Had one today and it went reasonably well though of the 3 person panel, 1 of them is the head of faculty for a job in going for next week which I REALLY want out of all of them.

Knowing my luck I'll be offered todays Jo, still go on Monday then the woman will be like wtf are you doing here. Plus there's always the potential that the head teacher from todays school will be on that panel!!!

So tbh the best possible outcome is to get a call tomorrow saying I didn't cut it :grin:

I saw that the other day. Beggars belief - I can't imagine how little a shit she gave that she'd rather drag out her days with shot lessons with the kids going nuts on her as opposed to putting together some semi engaging lessons - its fucking English - every teacher in that department willve working from a core set of texts and lessons...

I reckon she hated the job but as the money is good she put in the bare minimum of effort until they were able to force her out.

Not sure if I've already mentioned this on here - I was passed up on a job at my brothers school a few years ago as, like this time, I was outperformed at interview.

This person turned out to be a complete train wreck - management had to step in at one point because she was just letting the kids dick around on ipads playing temple run for whole lessons. The stupidest part is they were loaded with gigs of reasonably fun educational apps she could have had the kids on....

I got offered the job from yesterday!!! The role is going to be quite different to what I'd assumed and give me a real mix during the week so I've accepted it.

Apparently the competition was fierce but my personality shone through - which doesn't day much for the other candidates :embarrassed:

DANCING-banana DANCING-banana DANCING-banana DANCING-banana DANCING-banana DANCING-banana DANCING-banana DANCING-banana DANCING-banana DANCING-banana

Back