Jam Session Recordings

BlockInlay

Octavate.band
A few weeks back, I jammed with some guys that live near by. Don't know any of them, just happened to meet one at a yard sale back in August. It was the first time I really played in 2 years and I had a great time. Good, level-headed guys that are playing for fun.

They recorded what we played and I'm listening to it now. First, those little Zoom recorders sound fantastic! Second, while my playing was rough (rusty and playing a mix of songs I'd never heard before or never played before), there are a few things here and there that I actually liked. For most of these little bits, I don't really recall what I did. I was literally making everything up as we progressed.

Now I'm wondering what to do. Should I get familiar with the original recordings, or intentionally avoid them to keep my parts unbiased? At minimum, I need to write out the chord progressions and changes but I'm not sure what to do about listening to the originals.

I had 3 beers at the holiday office party so my apologies if this incoherent.

You didn't mention if these were covers or originals you all were jamming on, but either way, I'd say give the recordings a listen. If nothing else, it will give you a frame of reference as to what the songwriter had in mind. You never know, you might really like the original part and want to cop something from it.

Back