Question: Irig(?) recommendations.

gtrjunior

Wannabe
I'm looking at getting something like the irig that will let me play along to backing tracks/songs via my iPhone or tablet(android) with headphones.
What do I need to make sure I have? Obviously I want to get a variety of tones.
I see various models of the irig from $12-$99....
What do you guys use and what are the pros and cons.
I'm looking for something I can use while sitting in the living room after work to get some practice time in without being secluded in the basement away from the wife etc....

Couple things:
Android - I think amplitube/irig UA is what you're looking for

living room w/ the wife? LOL good luck with that; even you playing your guitar un-amplified, several feet away from her is going to annoy the crap out of her while she watches the bachelor. If it doesn't, that's because she's already plotted your "accident" and is just biding her time.

I use the iRig2. It replaced my original one be I misplaced. The 2 has a better floor noise ratio, just as easy to use and IMO works better. I use mine to work on tunes, solos or just jam. Works well with my iPod and iPhone.

I have the iRig HD, and it works fine both on my phone and iPad:

ik_multimedia_ip_irig_hd_in_irig_hd_guitar_interface_923054.jpg

The new model (HD2) is about $20 more and gives you a 1/4" output to amp, etc. which for me isn't necessary.

Haha!! She's a saint....trust me!
I watched a video on the UA but I need to see a few more. The one I saw was a mediocre presentation at best.
I also noticed that he iRig 2 HD is compatible with "some" android devices.

Don’t buy anything that connects through the headphone jack. They pick up interference from damned near everything.

Don’t buy anything that connects through the headphone jack. They pick up interference from damned near everything.

That doesn't connect through the headphone jack -- it comes with old Apple, lightning, and USB cables...

Be careful.
The UA won't work with USB C cables right now. Even with a C-Micro adapter the phone won't recognize it. Just fyi seeing as 2017 is moving to the C standard.

Good thing about the UA is that you can use it on a PC also, so there's that.

Back